BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced a starter motor? Haynes manual instructs to remove intake manifold. Is this necessary and how hard to do is so? Thanks for any help

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced a starter motor? Haynes manual instructs to remove intake manifold. Is this necessary and how hard to do is so? Thanks for any help
Yes, it is necessary to remove the intake manifold. It's not difficult, but it is a time consuming job that needs to be done carefully.

The Bentley Manual is a better option and has better instructions, if you can get your hands on one.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Welcome to the Fest. Yeah, you'll need to remove the mani. PM me if you don't have a Bentley manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Just popped open hood. Intake looks like a plastic version of the intake on my E30. I was scared it was going to be like the one I took off an E46-Pain in the butt. Thanks for your helpl.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just popped open hood. Intake looks like a plastic version of the intake on my E30. I was scared it was going to be like the one I took off an E46-Pain in the butt. Thanks for your helpl.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First job I had to undertake on my car. Local BMW-only shop quoted me 300 JUST FOR LABOR!!! Ahem...no thank you kind sir (can't post what I told him over the phone). Anywho, the mani has to be removed because the starter is where the call "inside the engine". Yeah, whatever. Due to my arrogance, and lack of planning for the weather, the job took my buddy and I a shameful 9hrs. I even had to remove my oil dipstick tube. Finally got the starter out from UNDER the car. Without a manual, its a bit**, but with one the job should prob take no more than 2hrs. Have fun!

·
Senor Apple
319 Posts
Speaking of the manual where I can get one? I'm trying to change the oil and I read that the oil filter is under the hood and not under the car?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,764 Posts
Oil filter is in the cylindrical canister with the center bolt, to the right of the engine as viewed from the front of the car with the hood up. VERY simple to change it, and a lot less messy than a spin-on underneath the car.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I miss BMW oil changes. I would honestly like to slowly and painfully torture the person to death who designed the oil drain and oil filter locations on my XJR.

Instructions with pictures are all over the internet. Bimmerdiy.com has a great writeup.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I miss BMW oil changes. I would honestly like to slowly and painfully torture the person to death who designed the oil drain and oil filter locations on my XJR.Instructions with pictures are all over the internet. Bimmerdiy.com has a great writeup.
Leave it to Ford to make it a bitch

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Actually, Ford didn't have a hand in that. The X308 chassis is a unique one - it was made at the point that Jaguar got the money from Ford, but before Ford started dictating things. It's probably the best "pure" Jaguar ever made. The X350s (2004 and up) have a lot of Ford influence. X308 doesn't, but they got funding and got to use some basic components. Design is pure Jaguar. ;)

·
Senor Apple
319 Posts
cool, what about the Bentley manual? Anyone know of a download torrent or server or place to buy the download for one of those?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,764 Posts

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
^:bustingup

Who needs reading?

AAPL, PM on the way.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,764 Posts
:rofl: Yeah, the world needs more strippers :bustingup:

AAPL, you have a choice on the starter removal........pull the transmission or the intake. I'd do the intake. :thumbup:

One of the only advantages to having a four-banger; you can (barely) remove the starter without taking major components off the engine/drivetrain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts