BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zinnobitch
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is still erm...dead
I thought it might have been the battery since it was running at 6V, so I had it replaced under warranty. Mind you the battery was only 2 1/2 weeks old when the battery broke and the battery before that lasted only a month (I guess my car is a battery killer).

The ground cable for the battery was cleaned with a wire brush along with its contact point onto a car.

So, this is what happens when I try to turn on my car.
-I put the key in
-gauges and all lightning works
-turn key to on
-gas gauges and temp gauges turn on along with battery and oil lights near the top-center of my instrument cluster.
-car does not start nor sputter
*only thing that does happen is a sort of hum or electrical (may not be electrical just something to compare it too) that occurs near the center of the dash, more toward the passenger. It sounds like it is coming from inside the dash.

So I plan on calling a mechanic tomorrow but I would really like to solve this problem on my own without having to call him.

From what I have read there is something in between the key and the starter that is being a little b**** and not letting my car turn on.

the correct way to test a starter is to use a test light or multimeter to see if there is power getting to the starter.
This may sound noob of me, but how do I do this? I have a voltometer and a hardhead :tsk:

·
Zinnobitch
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All the mechanics I call and such are telling me that I need to put it in a DIAG to see what the problem is and want to charge me $150 for that. Is there a way I can do that on my own to see why me car isn't turning?

·
Zinnobitch
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am looking for is those devices that tell you the fault code which I can then use to figure out what is wrong with my car.

·
Zinnobitch
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So where can I get the tools to test a starter?

Lol, I am surprised no one has responded. Well not really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts