Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in Chicago and we are about to have crazy cold weather .... how will the 550i start up ... I have a new battery .. anything special I should do while it sits in the cold all day?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you have an electrical outlet near where you park it you might want to put a battery tender on it to keep the battery topped off. When you start it let it idle a few extra minutes to let the oil circulate and thin out a bit and remember the rest of the drive train lubricants will be thickened up so drive easily for a few miles. Don't blast the defroster directly onto the windshield, let it warm up gradually with the HVAC in "auto". Don't roll down your windows as they may be frozen shut. Think about taking that job offer in Florida.....Chicago is not habitable this time of the year.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Are you parked outside or inside? If parked inside...it could be a good 10°-20° warmer...even in an un-insulated garage

If you haven't put a large drain on the battery (like sitting listening to the radio or watching a video along with the seat and steering wheel heaters on...plus you don't have the engine running and your doing this all on the battery alone)...the new battery) probably will be okay.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,493 Posts
"No pre-glow. I was expecting a couple of seconds of pre-glow before it cranked."

BMW Diesel Technology said:
Preheating and start standby heating are activated as so-called concealed heating up to a coolant temperature of 30°C.
Concealed heating is triggered a maximum of 4 times and is then not enabled again before the engine is restarted.
Concealed heating is triggered by the following signals:
1. Driver's seat occupancy
2. Driver's seat belt buckle
3. Valid key
4. Terminal R
5. Clutch operated.
At -10°F the glow plugs flash for ~2.8 seconds at each triggering.

I had started a retort to OPie but deleted it. I'll make the comment now that those quoted reported forecast numbers are Wind Chill that affect animals / humans only and not machinery. Machinery does not replenish the moisture at the surface like animal skin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In Chicago too. I'm glad someone asked this. Battery is fairly new. I feel like I'll be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
"No pre-glow. I was expecting a couple of seconds of pre-glow before it cranked."

At -10°F the glow plugs flash for ~2.8 seconds at each triggering.

I had started a retort to OPie but deleted it. I'll make the comment now that those quoted reported forecast numbers are Wind Chill that affect animals / humans only and not machinery. Machinery does not replenish the moisture at the surface like animal skin.
I made the video before I learned about the concealed pre-glow. I later edited the text in the posting to mention that there was some concealed pre-glow.

The overnight temps (not wind chill) on Wednesday night are expected to be around 0F in my area so I'm not worried about being able start my diesels in the cold.

:)

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
I made the video before I learned about the concealed pre-glow. I later edited the text in the posting to mention that there was some concealed pre-glow.

The overnight temps (not wind chill) on Wednesday night are expected to be around 0F in my area so I'm not worried about being able start my diesels in the cold.
My expansion of the topic was as as information for our readers. It was not directed at you n1das.

I have recently started a number of times at -10°F and not seen or noticed GP wait or indication. This cold snap may be waning, but I would have been interested to compare the X5d start to my TDI’s -35°F start.

I have noticed GP wait and indication when Milady Wife is less than prompt on getting into the car so that concealed heating expires.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
Especially if you stay home inside! (Which is what I’d do ... bawk bawk bawk)
CBS Chicago -
Chicago Weather: It’s So Cold That You Shouldn’t Talk Too Much–Or Breathe

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
I went to school at Idaho National Engineering Laboratory winter of ***8216;70. A housemate-classmate***8217;s avocation was Arctic exploration. He taught us to build an igloo in a Bannoc County Park near where we lived. The temperature inside was about 50°F. An igloo can be equipped with translucent, if not transparent, windows. A sheet of ice in place of a ***8216;brick***8217; will reach a steady state melt-freeze and provide light.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
At what temp does antifreeze stop working?
1:1, 50% freezes at -34°F / -37°C, very nearly the intersection of Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales at -40°. A mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water freezes at -45 °C (-49 °F).

I just looked at my backyard liquid thermometer indicating -16°F, at K2P2 airport about two miles away, and the official NWS local temperature, -11°F is reported. At Weather Station 45.291 N 86.977 W (45°17'27" N 86°58'36" W) at Northport about ten miles away across the Door Passage, -13.4°F is reported with calculated wind chill of -30°F.

ETA 0715: I walked around with my infrared thermometer that I regard as my best thermometer short of the IAT in the car. Unheated bedroom wall 55°F. Vinyl double pane window frame 22°F with hard ice condensation. Unheated garage where the X5 is parked 20°F. Compared my backyard liquid thermometer and the infrared thermometer, both indicating -16°F.

·
Registered
446 Posts
People have to start worrying about water cooling system freezing as well as battery. MN IS -27 already. I wonder if BMW changes mix to 60:40 in these colder climates. Chicago going to be colder than antartica today.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
People have to start worrying about water cooling system freezing as well as battery. MN IS -27 already. I wonder if BMW changes mix to 60:40 in these colder climates. Chicago going to be colder than antartica today.
Of course it is colder here in the winter than summer in Antarctica!. Eschew #FakeNews particularly from the legacy media.

Chicago / Wheeling, Pal-Waukee Airport (KPWK) is at -20°F with -27°F low forecast tomorrow night.

A fully discharged battery freezes at about -10°C. An FLA battery well charged with SG 1.250 freezes at - 50°C. An AGM battery has a bit higher charged specific gravity than FLA.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
17,493 Posts
From my bicycling buddy in Port Washington about 200 miles south and ten degrees F cooler. Lake Michigan.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Give the car at least 1min to circulate oil, then drive. Car warms up faster if you drive it. Take it easy for the first 10-15 mins, you'll be fine

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used to live in MN, you guys are bringing back memories! Coldest start I had was -28f, car was left outside at the airport for a week and barely started when I returned in the middle of a deep freeze. Wasn't a BMW though, I had a Lexus GS AWD at the time. Car wasn't happy but it did it. I recall it took a good 20-25 min of driving until the heat was fully toasty.

Pretty much all makes test to -20F routinely and most fuel injection tables I've seen go from -20f to +120f. Outside that range things start to get dicey.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts