Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Wingnut
Discussion Starter #1
99 528i manual 183k miles build date 12/98
the car starts every morning regardless of temp with just a tad more than a starter bump.
about once a month, after driving down the road for about a mile and stopping to get gas or a drink, when i restart the car, it starts instantly, then dies. on restart, the starter spins for about 3 seconds, car starts, and if i depress the throttle, it has no issue maintaining 2-4 k rpm, then dies as throttle pedal is released. on next try, a few second crank with throttle depressed, itll start, hold 2 rpm, then when releasing throttle the tach will dip under normal idle then return to smooth idle. when releasing the clutch, i find i have to give it a bit more revs to get it to begin to roll from a level start, otherwise the engine will stumble. once driving, power seems a bit off, as does acceleration. by the afternoon everything is back to normal.
i do have a CEL, the only code stored is for the secondary air system, a project for once temps hit below 90.
mixtures, both short term and long term, are not far off zero, across rpm ranges.
other than the fact that when this happens, the engine will hold 2-4 k rpm on throttle, then immediately die, the fuel pump is my first suspect, but have been unable to verify pressure when the problem occurs. normal operation it reads just under 50, and will hold pressure after shutdown.. i am thinking or replacing the fuel pump as a preemptive measure, as i have 183k miles, dunno if it was ever replaced, my fuel filter when i replaced last year. had a date stamp of 1998. as have many other parts ive found that were stamped.
anyone have any experience with this or anything similar and is willing to share with me a direction to go in?

Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
I'd suspect a dirty throttle. But inspecting or replacing the fuel elements (filter. switch, pump,...) will not hurt, given their age of close to 20 years of service...!!

Registered
Take out the butt sitting part of the back seat. I did this when I heard a whining sound coming
from the fuel pump area about 2.5 years ago.

Every time I would stop at the store on the way home from work, 10 mile drive no highway,
and then get back in the car and start it up for the 2 block ride home, the fuel pump would
start making that whining sound.

Would not make a peep of a noise in the morning ride to work, only when I stopped on the way home and then start it back up for that last stretch home.

Bought a Pierburg fuel pump and had it in the trunk for quite awhile until one day I started my 2000 528i that I parked in a parking garage at work. Garage is real quiet and when I started my car I heard a gurgling sound coming from the firewall of my car on the engine side, I thought to myself thats fuel struggling through the fuel lines.

Uh oh, fuel pump is really about to die.

Took a chance and drove it home and it died at my doorstep...LOL, fuel pump was done.

Changed it with new pump and all was good.

Never any stalling issues or car feeling sluggish. Just a long slow death of my fuel pump.

I never verified what my fuel pressure was during this time which was a few months that this went on.

It was about 171,000 miles that this occurred if I recall correctly.

Wingnut
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suspect a dirty throttle. But inspecting or replacing the fuel elements (filter. switch, pump,...) will not hurt, given their age of close to 20 years of service...!!
i replace the throttle body and cable a year ago when i was having EML issues, air filter is replaced often. all air ducts are in good shape. curious...what has you thinking of dirty throttle?
when i get the FP in, im also replacing the filter even though its maybe 18 months old, and the relay after learning from a debacle i had with a friends E60 545 coupla years ago. have already cleaned all electricals but it made no diff.
i dont know the age of the FP, if its been replaced prior, and with what if it was, or if its even still the original. gonna change ennyways with pierburg.
thank you

Wingnut
Discussion Starter #5
Take out the butt sitting part of the back seat. I did this when I heard a whining sound coming
from the fuel pump area about 2.5 years ago.

Every time I would stop at the store on the way home from work, 10 mile drive no highway,
and then get back in the car and start it up for the 2 block ride home, the fuel pump would
start making that whining sound.

Would not make a peep of a noise in the morning ride to work, only when I stopped on the way home and then start it back up for that last stretch home.

Bought a Pierburg fuel pump and had it in the trunk for quite awhile until one day I started my 2000 528i that I parked in a parking garage at work. Garage is real quiet and when I started my car I heard a gurgling sound coming from the firewall of my car on the engine side, I thought to myself thats fuel struggling through the fuel lines.

Uh oh, fuel pump is really about to die.

Took a chance and drove it home and it died at my doorstep...LOL, fuel pump was done.

Changed it with new pump and all was good.

Never any stalling issues or car feeling sluggish. Just a long slow death of my fuel pump.

I never verified what my fuel pressure was during this time which was a few months that this went on.

It was about 171,000 miles that this occurred if I recall correctly.
i seem to remember you posting of this some while ago. my FP cannot be heard at all with the back seat bottom in. you lucked out, i dont wanna get even near in that position, therefore gonna do the FP, relay and filter and see what happens.

Registered
Yes, I was pushing my luck and it was real dumb of me to go that long knowing that I had a problem.

But I was prepared, new fuel pump along with tools in the trunk....

Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
The throttle not responding, or responding erratically to the pedal is what makes me think it may be clogged with dirt...but it could be an irregular fuel feed.

... about 3 seconds, car starts, and if i depress the throttle, it has no issue maintaining 2-4 k rpm, then dies as throttle pedal is released. on next try, a few second crank with throttle depressed, itll start, hold 2 rpm, then when releasing throttle....

Under the lift arms
tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield... drive around till the problem happens.. rule that out..

hard to say with a intermittent issue..

that can also be a timing related issue, whats the timing advance? what is the motor trying to do to keep in that triangle of running

Wingnut
Discussion Starter #9
thanks b2nd..i will look in to that as well.

Wingnut
Discussion Starter #10
follow up... had a one time repeat of the problem some time later, found a pending intake cam position sensor code. changed out the cam position sensor, and did the fuel pump(pierburg)/relay/filter at the same time, glad i did. the pump was some no name *ese brand. ive had no issues since, but it hasnt been that long. but knowing that id put 50k miles on that pump made me realise i was treading water daily with that pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts