BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the battery and alternator and still needs jumped to start. Unless it is hooked up to another vehicle I can't even turn accessories on. As soon as it is connected to another vehicle it will start right away without needing to charge. Any ideas? Thank you.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,376 Posts
Take the battery cables off the battery and clean the posts and clamps. Take the ground cable off the connection to the chassis and clean the connection point. If the car cranks with a jump, but will do nothing on the system battery, the electrical system isn't making connection to the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agree with Hornhospital. I had similar issue, would drop sometimes almost 1v while driving, and went to start my car for lunch and had no power. Turns out there was battery acid residue on the terminals and around the ground on the chassis. (My guess was vehicle had been hit and busted the battery ). I removed cables and cleaned off all connections and didnt have any weird voltage issues.

-side note, also check your wire connections under the hood along firewall on passenger side to make sure nothing had made it's way loose somehow. As well as connections at the fuse box on driver side next to firewall under the hood.

Good luck on solving this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts