BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starting issues

947 11
I have a 2000 540 and for the past 2 months i have had some issues with starting the car. For the most part it starts but on occasion the car will not turn over. I took it to my mechanic and they could not locate the problem and said they would need to experience the problem themselves. Well since it dont happen all of the time its kinda difficult. HELP ME PLEASE.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Is the check engine light on?
Same here, car will not turn over 10% of the time on the first try. On the second try it always cranks over. I have replaced the ignition switch and the battery. I don't worry to much because it has never failed to start. No codes either.
Cam position sensor, fuel filter.
Cam position sensor - Thanks, bought it in Jan. and have not replaced.
You both say it does not turn over. That's not an engine sensor issue.

It is rather and EWS thing. Failed EWS authorization or failed communication to DME (grounds!), clutch switch / gear selector switch. Or general starter issues, like solenoid or contacts.
Cam position sensor - Thanks, bought it in Jan. and have not replaced.
In my case I bypassed the clutch switch and problem still persists. Starter is new, EWS system is the last thing on my list. Before changing the ignition switch it would take multiple tries before the motor turned over - so I think I have multiple failed/failing components.
What the OP means by "turnover" is the car will not fully start. The starter is engaging but taking too long to start. I see where you are coming from. Just wanted to clear that up . :thumbup:
You both say it does not turn over. That's not an engine sensor issue.

It is rather and EWS thing. Failed EWS authorization or failed communication to DME (grounds!), clutch switch / gear selector switch. Or general starter issues, like solenoid or contacts.
Thanks, for clarifying it! Sorry for my English. :dunno:
What the OP means by "turnover" is the car will not fully start. The starter is engaging but taking too long to start. I see where you are coming from. Just wanted to clear that up . :thumbup:
Bad starter gear on starter motor??

larry3711
2001 540iA Sport
????
Thanks, for clarifying it! Sorry for my English. :dunno:
So for my English lesson today :)

If I understood you correctly "doesn't turn over" is an expression which means that the engine does not start up. But it does not mean that the crankshaft/starter didn't rotate. ??

When I used the "doesn't turn over" expression, I meant no rotation at all, starter did not engage.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.