BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i thought it was just cold start but it does it both hot n cold start. When i turn key it turns slow crank like if the battery is weak and lights are dim. I had battery / alternator/ starter tested there all good. L Once started it is good but every so often act like it going to stall. Maybe once or twice a week. I noticed it is getting worst and worst to start. My airbag light is on and all light on dash go out when trying to start. In on position all lights on. As for radio i dont know i have a deck in it. Before i noticed if i turn key and held it on start a little harder it would start faster/better but now that doesnt work. I was doing key on key off key on then start and that was working but now that not working anymore. Also now if i turn key and wait for like 5 seconds and try turn key to start it wont budge so i have to turn key off and then turn key again and it will go all the way to start. When i turn key it doesnt go past the norm. Or spin or it wont lock up if i go from on to start in all in one motion. Im really thinking just needs a new ignition switch. What tools would i need?

·
Import and Euro Fanatic
263 Posts
first of all are you sure about who you had test battery? if you hook it to jumper cables does it start easier? if so not ignition switch.
i have had a couple ignition switches die on me in the past (neither are BMW) and i didn't get any of the symptoms you describe except having to turn key harder for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i had a voltmeter and jack n stands il test the resistence. Is there another way to tell ? Like if i take apart the steering coloum and touch the switch while car running, if bad it would be hot right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol this **** .. Found out a new trick for now, if i go to start and let it snap back to "on" once it begines to crank then go to start it .. It starts right up and air bag light will go off.shots a pain .. Still a step up from ford lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts