BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shift in Park, foot on brake pedal, press start ignition comes on but engine doesn't crank- any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Sounds like the IVM. It will eventually work, then do the same thing again. It is only a 100.00 part, that is easy to change.

·
Super Moderator
2,009 Posts
Integrated supply module, integrated voltage regulator module, many people call it different things but ultimately it regulates your voltage supply and when it starts to fail it can cause the problems your experiencing. It's located in with the DME electrics under the pollen filter.

Something else to take a quick look at is when you remove the pollen filters and the plastic panelling they sit on you'll find a hole in the wings both sides, ensure these are free of debris as they are drains and can cause all sorts of problems if they get clogged, there's also drains under the electrics box itself and the brake master cylinder, make sure these are clear also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also checked battery voltage before first crank, it read 11.8 v. I would expect at least 12.5v so have replaced battery. Will see what happens. The alternator output measured 14.5v so that seems fine

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
The battery voltage is low, but should still crank. Check the voltage at the terminal under the hood, since the voltage goes from there to the starter. Make sure the connection there is tight. Has someone removed the valve cover lately on that side of the engine?

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
I thought I had responded to this but apparently not. I'm with Herb. IVM for sure. Had same symptoms which were getting quite frequent (twice in one week), never had a problem again since changing it last spring.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Some of those plugs are hard to get to. I ended up loosening the whitish box for access. Longer and thinner fingers might get it done but I couldn't, even after quite a bit of swearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts