BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably should move to the detailing forum, but i figure get the most exposure here.... so i'm parked at best buy to do some shopping... come out get in my car and start to back out of the parking lot.... then i look in my rear view (driver's side) mirror and it's TURNED.... now i know these mirrors can turn, but some a$$hole must have done something to my car... so i get out and return it to it's normal position, only to see that the blue plastic mirror housing is now inside the bottom black trim. with some gently prodding i get the mirror housing back to looking normal. at this point i'm figuring that hey it's okay. no scratches, no dents on the mirror housing, just deal. then i notice the f-in' scratches about 6 inches under my door handle. there are about 5 or so of them and they are about 3 inches long. so rather than just venting (which i definately needed to do) let me end by asking how do i touch the scratches up? the carcareonline instructions dont seem to apply as the scratches are on my door (i.e. paint would drip off the toothpick/door). should i tape over everything but the scratches then paint? argh, the drivers here in austin have zero respect for other people....

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
:mad::mad:

No advice on repair but I can feel your pain:( A little caution isn't too much to ask for is it:dunno:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seeing the mirror twisted up was bad enough... then the mirror housing (thankfully no probs with the mechanics)... then the friggin' scratches... almost too much. and to top off my bad best buy experience (a) i only went as a favor to a friend to look at prices for him and (b) what i DID want to buy wasnt even in stock...:cry: enough of my rants.. anyone else please with some scratch painting info.... i am trying to not get too upset, but the mirror had to take some force to move and push in like that (esp considering the housing)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Hey, don't blame the city!

atyclb said:
Here's a little something to restore your faith in our fine city

sorry to hear about it, though.:cry:
no. i'm convinced that the drivers here are almost all bad. from my f-in' bumper scratches from idiots who cannot parallel park (in spaces so big a blind man in an expedition could do it without hitting other cars) to this.... i am beyond annoyed... i've never been the person to park SUPER far away to keep everyone away from my car. but this is too much.

nice pic though

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
sorry to hear, try using ScratchX on it. I'll take a look this Thursday. Austin isn't bad though, I've had my car for 1.5 year and no single scratch or ding (knock on wood)... I always park far away from other cars and always back into my parking spots...

bad day for Austin BMW folks i guess, your mirror got scratched up, and my buddy (Tunkz) got a crack on his windshield on his way to work on his brand new Z3. i'd better be careful!

--Andrew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ayn said:
sorry to hear, try using ScratchX on it. I'll take a look this Thursday.
i doubt scratch x will work as the scratches are pretty deep, but i'll keep my fingers crossed... oh and first aid kit is here... clears and steering wheel should be here tomorrow or thursday....

·
Senior Slacker
5,673 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

i doubt scratch x will work as the scratches are pretty deep, but i'll keep my fingers crossed... oh and first aid kit is here... clears and steering wheel should be here tomorrow or thursday....
Sorry to hear about this, I avoid taking my car to places where the parking is bad.....

Just curious, where did you end up getting the M3 wheel?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vexed said:

Just curious, where did you end up getting the M3 wheel?
i got it from hendricks bmw in NC... they had an ad in roundel.. 338 + shipping. you can also order it from circle bmw for 340 (or at least a week ago you could). shipping is usually about 10-15 so you shouldnt pay more than 360 tops anywhere...

·
Senior Slacker
5,673 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

i got it from hendricks bmw in NC... they had an ad in roundel.. 338 + shipping. you can also order it from circle bmw for 340 (or at least a week ago you could). shipping is usually about 10-15 so you shouldnt pay more than 360 tops anywhere...
Thanks, BTW I have sadly had many cars "keyed" it seems to be a sport here. The body shops told me if your fingernail catches on the scratch it needs to be repainted, if not they can usually buff it out.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Re: Re: Hey, don't blame the city!

eugeneDC/TX said:
no. i'm convinced that the drivers here are almost all bad. from my f-in' bumper scratches from idiots who cannot parallel park (in spaces so big a blind man in an expedition could do it without hitting other cars) to this.... i am beyond annoyed... i've never been the person to park SUPER far away to keep everyone away from my car. but this is too much.
yeah, Austin drivers are bad, and I also hate those tailgaters with huge ass pickup trucks or SUVs. (some of those are very good drivers though, like a lot of PCA ppl haul their track car with a Suburban)... I tend to avoid going to places where parking is bad, if I have to go, I take my girlfriend's car ('94 corolla). The parking spots at Best Buy is a little tight, I usually park far far away to avoid getting door dings from some dude in an F350 who won't be able see my car when he opens his door.

I got nice parking at work, but spaces are tight, so I usually park on the 3rd floor where there are only 5 cars who usually park there.

anyway, don't worry about your paint too much, DRIVE IT INSTEAD!

--Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.