BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bad feeling...
Starting to get some rattly/metallic noises on startup, usually first thing after the 540
(60Kmiles) been sitting awhile(4+hrs). Goes right away, never lasting more than a split second. Oil looks good. Anybody else ever get these noises?
Thanks
George

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have this little annoying problem myself. This is most likely caused by the starter that doesn't disengage quickly enough when the engine starts, causing the starter to spin up and make noise. I'm told it is nothing to worry about but it sounds real shameful I think...

Some suggest it could be possible to clean the starter axle and then lube it up with something, I don't know graphite perhaps (?). Others say it is better to replace the starter right away.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do a search, you'll find many posts on this. Here's mine:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126104
What you talk about in your thread is "rumble" (low-pitched), what I experience is more like a "screaching" (high-pitched).

I did a search and found a similar thread with an attached sound file. What you hear in this recording is exactly what I hear in my car: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82727&highlight=starter+noise

I'm no expert but this sounds like a typical starter noise, not the more low-pitched knocking Vanos noise.

I could be wrong and would be very happy for input from more experienced people!

Edit: when listening more closely, I think this recording exemplifies both starter and Vanos sounds. In the beginning half second or so, it is the starter mainly. After it quiets down, you hear the Vanos briefly, much lower pitched. Then also the Vanos quiets down after a second or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My last post above: this is what I *think* I hear, as a layman. It would be great if any of you more experienced people could lend an ear to that recording and tell what actually happens.

The only thing I don't hear in my machine is that meaty sound after the start-up cosmetic imperfections settled... normal idling is more like a whisper in my 2.5 litres version.

Nothing beats a high-quality recording when discussing the meaning of sounds :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to be so persistent on this one.

Here we have a great recording that demonstrates certain sounds that worries many bmw owners. I have also been worried but was told not to care about it by a bmw mechanic, nothing bad will happen according to him. Vanos sounds are normal, the initial high-pitched starter sounds are annoying but will cause no damage. This is what I'm told.

My car sounds very much like in this example during start-up phase, when the engine is cold. More so, and more often, during the winter.

It would be of great help if we could have a brief discussion what these sounds actually mean, and if there is a need to do anything about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damned... I thought I could bait you up with that "Klingon mind melt". There is no such thing of course. Vulcan mind melt is the concept that makes sense... sort of... in this context.

You leave me grasping for straws... what about this one: Please...?

Now melt your mechanical minds with the sound of an M5 sounding a little non-optimal to most ears: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82727&highlight=starter+noise

What does it try to communicate to you? I already excused myself for being so persistent... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts