BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a very feint static sound coming from the speakers even when the radio is off. Is this normal? I've read on some other BMW forums that the amplifier stays on all the time if the vehicle is on. Has anyone noticed the static with their stock/aftermarket speakers?

·
Vendor
28 Posts
Static coming from your speakers usually happens when you have a strong electrical current going through a wire next to your speaker wire. What happens is the minute magnetic force that the current produces transfers to your speaker wires, creating the static sound. This generally happens with poor insulation on your speaker wires, or a tight wire harness with non speaker wires bundled up against your speaker wires. Typically happens with aftermarket audio, and not stock systems; however physics obeys its own laws, not ours.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Could also be the volume is turned up real loud. Why? Cause you are using Bluetooth which has pretty low power. Are u using the aux?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe static wasn't the right word. It just sounds like the speakers are "powered on," sort of like the volume is all the way down but there is still power going to the speakers. When I turn on the head unit the sound doesn't change unless I turn the volume above 0. When I turn the volume back down to 0 the sound still happens, and doesn't change when turning off the head unit. Seems like the speakers always have power going to them even with the head unit off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone confirm that the amplifier stays powered on once the vehicle is in ACC or the engine is running? Would really help me out. Some cars do this, while others turn off the amplifier unless the head unit is on.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Can someone confirm that the amplifier stays powered on once the vehicle is in ACC or the engine is running? Would really help me out. Some cars do this, while others turn off the amplifier unless the head unit is on.
It's controlled by the data bus. It probably stays on for phone and Nav duties.

Find something else to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts