BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently installed the DICE Silverline kit in my 540i, so far so good, but I have a few questions in regards to sound control. Does the DICE kit itself, have sound control, bass, treb, exc.

And my other problem is that I am getting a lot of feedback when changing songs and some background static while listening to music. I am wondering what I can do to fix this?

·
Registered
600 Posts
You can adjust bass, treble, mid and volume settings only when AUX is selected. See attached User Manual PDF.

I've also attached a copy of my quick-reference cheat sheet, suitable for printing. I use disc 6 / track 3 to show song info on my (high) cluster.

Attachments

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks! The other day it would charge my iphone but not connect, so i tried my ipod and still had no luck. It said SAT instead of CD-01 so i unhooked the battery and it was good to go after that. BTW how do I get to the AUX mode? I am running DSP stereo,

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
cool thanks! The other day it would charge my iphone but not connect, so i tried my ipod and still had no luck. It said SAT instead of CD-01 so i unhooked the battery and it was good to go after that. BTW how do I get to the AUX mode? I am running DSP stereo,
disk 5 controls the input ipod/aux/sat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

I recently installed the DICE Silverline kit in my 540i, so far so good, but I have a few questions in regards to sound control. Does the DICE kit itself, have sound control, bass, treb, exc.

And my other problem is that I am getting a lot of feedback when changing songs and some background static while listening to music. I am wondering what I can do to fix this?
Did you figure out the static sound problem and are you satisfied with the DICE Silverline kit? I assume you have the DICE Silverline DUO?

I've been thinking about iPod integration alternatives for my 2000 540/6 with NAV/DSP.:dunno:

·
Software Engineer
109 Posts
Hi all,

Mine did this too. I ended up re-working some of the wiring and turned my DICE unit into an exclusively AUX input. I was willing to give up the on-screen display options and iPod charging in exchange for losing that really really annoying static noise. It seems like the audio output on the DICE is not grounded properly and it permits i-Bus noise to be heard. With my modifications, the iPod closes the loop properly and the noise is gone. I should record it some day for the other members on this board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"I turned my DICE unit into an exclusively AUX input"

Thanks for responding. Does your set-up (exclusively AUX input) use a "Line Level" input or are you using the 3mm mini plug to connect your iPod? Without a line level input the audio quality will not be nearly as good, albeit the static issue may be is fixed.

·
Software Engineer
109 Posts
"I turned my DICE unit into an exclusively AUX input"

Thanks for responding. Does your set-up (exclusively AUX input) use a "Line Level" input or are you using the 3mm mini plug to connect your iPod? Without a line level input the audio quality will not be nearly as good, albeit the static issue may be is fixed.
I use a line-level input. I bought a thick gauge high quality adapter for the dock connector on my iPod. The distortion can be a bit worse on the line-level than with the 3.5mm out - crazy as that does sound. I need to research this one a bit more. I still use part of the BMW factory AUX adapter, and that has a resistor wound into the cable that might be affecting sound quality somewhat. Unusual design specifically for the BMW BM53 radio.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you're getting static feedback, that means the wires or the unit is close to or crossing a live/ground line. Try to relocate the unit or make sure it's not in the path of another wire. My dice unit was really bad at one point. I relocated it and now it's super clear...mines is i. The trunk right next to the amp. This way it doesn't get caught by anything in the trunk and doesn't look as messy.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
The Aux line in will not show track info on the MID, though, as the iPod's 30-pin connector will. Unless someone figured out how to get around this limitation.

Yes, re-route the cable to get rid of the static.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Aux line in will not show track info on the MID, though, as the iPod's 30-pin connector will. Unless someone figured out how to get around this limitation.

Yes, re-route the cable to get rid of the static.
I have the DICE Silverline kit, and when I plug my iPod in as its supposed to be used I get a lot of static. When I just run an AUX line to the unit it sounds great. So I could use it like that and run the controls from the iPod itself.

The problem is it won't charge the iPod without being plugged in with the 30-pin cable. But once I do that it routes the audio through that and the static comes back.

Any ideas how I could use the AUX input and still charge my iPod?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have the DICE Silverline kit, and when I plug my iPod in as its supposed to be used I get a lot of static. When I just run an AUX line to the unit it sounds great. So I could use it like that and run the controls from the iPod itself.

The problem is it won't charge the iPod without being plugged in with the 30-pin cable. But once I do that it routes the audio through that and the static comes back.

Any ideas how I could use the AUX input and still charge my iPod?

Thanks,
Darren

I'm guessing you have the trunk kit. Purchase a power inverter like the one in the pic and modify the power connectors to hook up to the battery and use the iPod house charger to charge the iPod. Some inverters have the cig light plug on them. I have something similar in my truck for charging things and it used to power up my ps2 in there.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts