BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 ZHP has started doing this static noise through the speaker, only once in a while it starts to static and making thump noises like if you were to disconnect a reconnect the speaker wire also, it does it when the radio is off. Has this happen to anyone else?

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
I have some odd behaviors with mine, also 2005, but don't think that is a critical data point. I suggest getting behind the trunk panel where all the navi and audio equipment is and disconnect and reconnect all of the connectors. I find with harsh bumps in the road I can lose part or all of my left channel. When it's only part, it's static.

I have read here to do the same with the control unit/screen up front and last week I pulled the trim pieces and attempted to remove it, but of course, there's a special tool required to take it out. Two screws for non-navi, rocket science degree and tool kit for navi. A slight exaggeration, but I wasn't up to hacking my way thru it, so I didn't get there.

Why this works is a mystery to me. All of the connectors are clipped in so they cannot accidentally pull out, so electrically this makes no sense. I've done this twice and it resolves almost all of my issues until it happens again. One that remains and isn't solved by this method is that I can start the car with the audio system on and get no sound. The fix for that is to shut it down and restart it, then it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.