BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so someone tried to steal the car wheels.
They took a jack underneath the car and pumped it up from where the oil drain plug is.

So now I'm getting a slightly whirling noise only here n now, when I'm not accelerating and just rolling.

Any help would be great as I'm worried it's damaged the engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. so the front of the car got lifted and then left like that for a few hours.
Some of the whirling noise gone now from tightening the back alloys as I didn't know they had attempted them as they looked untouch.

So any idea what the jack could of done holding it from the drain plug? Other than pushed it up?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Thanks guys. so the front of the car got lifted and then left like that for a few hours.
Some of the whirling noise gone now from tightening the back alloys as I didn't know they had attempted them as they looked untouch.

So any idea what the jack could of done holding it from the drain plug? Other than pushed it up?
It's not just the drain plug, it's your oil pan that it's connected to. It's not a structural component so you want somebody to take a look and make sure nothing was cracked, broken, or pushed out of position given the oil pan's somewhat sensitive location and critical function. I'd be worried about the pan being cracked and developing a leak, personally.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just out of silly curiosity, do you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance? Did you file a report with either your insurance or the police? (If you're leasing, I'm pretty sure you have comprehensive.)

If yes to those, then file on your insurance and get the car in for an estimate! This is why you have comprehensive (other than collision). If yes to coverage and no to filing a report, then you need to contact your insurance company, and probably file a belated police report.

There are a number of things that could be wrong here, but this is definitely a covered event (minus your deductible, of course) on your insurance, if you have coverage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So took it to the garage. Yh reported it but can't do anything either no cameras. Insurance said if driveable take it to the garage.
Took it an hour ago and there hasn't been any damage what so ever. As it was jacked from the drain plug but the surrounding is made from aluminium which hasn't moved up or got bent. The noise has stopped and that could of been the back alloys. Open the bonnet too and seen nothing. There's no leaks any where or underneath. It seems to be all good expect the front alloys.

After it being on the lift found out the the differential seal has a leak. My warranty has run out. Could I purchase another bmw warranty and claim later? As it doesn't seem bad garage said to buy warranty n do it after a month

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
A new diff seal is not a very costly repair, especially if you bring it to an indy shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts