BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, The Roundel is pretty sure about it. The April issue (p.32) says, "Since we've already established that the E90 3 Series convertible will feature a retractable steel top, here's a photo of the coupe..." The photo has a mocked up coupe out in the snow. They state that the coupe and convertible will be introduced in Spring 2006. They also state the E90 sport wagon will be shown at the September Frankfurt Auto Show.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Moto Trex said:
Well, The Roundel is pretty sure about it. The April issue (p.32) says, "Since we've already established that the E90 3 Series convertible will feature a retractable steel top, here's a photo of the coupe..." The photo has a mocked up coupe out in the snow. They state that the coupe and convertible will be introduced in Spring 2006. They also state the E90 sport wagon will be shown at the September Frankfurt Auto Show.
For the E36 and E46, did the coupe and cabrio get released at the same time, or was there a delay for the cabrio? Also, why are they using a steel roof? I'm sure not for structure strength in rollover accidents, since they have to account for that when the roof is retracted. Wouldn't aluminum save some weight?

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Yes, there was adelay for both the E36 and E46.

As for a steel roof I am sure it is to reduce the NVH numbers in the vert to better compete with Merc, Saab, et al.

Once again BMW making something more complx than it needs to be. :tsk:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Friends here at the factory say the test cars here are

- Coupe
- Cabrio with soft top
- Coupe/Cabrio with Composite retracting roof ( very light roof that can fold very small )

The composite retracting roof is rumoured to come out later possibly called a 4 Series to distinguish itself from the normal Coupe and Cabrio

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soft top and hard top options might be a good idea. Modern three layer soft tops from BMW are very sturdy and the noise is not bad. A hard top cabrio with composites in the roof makes sense from a weight point of view.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I cannot see a steel roof convertible.

If BMW did not introduce it on the 645 then I can't see them offering it on the 3 series. Many people like myself buy the 3 series convertible because of the 4 seats and a reasonable sized trunk which would both be compromised with the steel roof. Just because Mercedes has done it with their 2 seaters doesn't mean BMW has to do it as well.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
jerrykdc said:
If BMW did not introduce it on the 645 then I can't see them offering it on the 3 series. Many people like myself buy the 3 series convertible because of the 4 seats and a reasonable sized trunk which would both be compromised with the steel roof. Just because Mercedes has done it with their 2 seaters doesn't mean BMW has to do it as well.
:stupid:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
jerrykdc said:
Mercedes isn't the only one doing it. It seems to be the current trend in convertibles of all sizes. The many advantage besides noise reduction is style. The current SL class is probably the nicest looking convertible with top up on the market today. Of course, why buy a convertible for how it looks with the top up? Because most people outside of CA can't drive the car with the top down a majority of the time. That's one reason why I didn't get a convertible at all; IMHO, the E46 coupe looks much better than its convertible twin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moto Trex said:
Here is a Spy Photo of the retractable top: http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/3Series folding roof02.jpg

Here are two Spy Photos of the E-90 Touring http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050406.002/6050406.002.Mini20L.jpg
http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050406.002/6050406.002.Mini18L.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
That might make the convertible worth waiting for. I always wanted a convertible but don't like soft tops. Once I drove a friends 325Cic and it felt very tight but the road noise was a little too much for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts