BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked my car from a Type I inspection and I've been told that the sensor is faulty. I know this is quite expensive (200 EUR) but if you take it to BMW dealer then they will charge about 600 EUR. I have two questions:

1) Does someone know how to change this sensor? Can you send me the link?

2) I know then you need to take the car to calibrate the sensor, but Does anyone know what happens if you change it and drive until it is calibrated? Do I need to turn the DSC off?

525d July 2002
312.000 Kilometers
6-6,5 liters/100 Km @ 140/150 Km/hour
Repairs in 8,5 year - less de 1.000 Euros. (without rutinary maintenance and replacements)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought new sensor on Ebay for $100, but INDY shop changed it for me. In case of DYI - note that you'll need to pull-out steering column.

·
Registered
12,695 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I've been looking in the Internet and it is not very often but there are a few messages in different forums. The DSC light is not on but I have noticed lately that the traction has changed. Mine is manual shift (I am in Spain) and now the car reacts as if I was driving an automatic car. I think what I will do is first, locate the sensor, then I will change it myself and then I will take to an Indy to calibrate it. Many thanks to all for your help. By the way, it is an incredible car.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Dunno how to help you but I do know there is a most excellent multi-page PDF treatise on how the entire DSC system works, along with a short description of the testing and operation of all the sensors, including the steering wheel sensors, appended to this thread.

bmw_abs_dsc_asc_repair.pdf (893.3 KB, 2560 views)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts