Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody out there (like me) going from retrofitted steering to 2002 steering with the 2.8 TTL. I'm getting rid of my car with the retro steering because of a deadspot problem. The steering itself is super firm and turns are fantastic. I'm concerned that the 2002 steering despite having crisper turn-in will be slightly over-boosted. Any experiences?

-RChoudry
01 330i
01 Z3
02 330ci (on order week 20)

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
I would recommend driving it. I am sure you can get a prolonged test drive of an '02 3er at a local dealership. Take it on a variety of roads and see how it feels. That's really the only way you'll know if it's right for you.

·
Here since day one
7,181 Posts
I've driven the 2002 330i extensively and you will LOVE the steering . . . it is absolutely the best steering of any E46 I have ever driven . . .

It is very tight while not being slow like the 323/328's. The turn-in like you said is quicker while not being twitchy. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Bottom line: Do not worry, I think you bought the 3er with the best steering BMW has, bar none !!

What options did you order, color, etc ? ?

Also, what made you go from a 4 door to a 2 door ?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got PP SP Xe HS Jet black/black

I've always liked the two door and the four door. I realized I didn't have any particular need for two extra doors and also didn;t care for the cosmetic changes done to the 2002 4 door model. On the other hand, the 2 door that I sampled before ordering had beautiful clears front and rear. It really looked a lot better than the 4 door.

I've seen your pics, Alan, beautiful!

-RChoudry

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I drove a 2002 330xi 5 speed on a long, winding road and it was an incredible steering/handling experience.

Found myself going 50+ around some tight turns and it stuck to the road. No problems with dead spots or twitchy steering. Since this was a 330xi I can bet your 2 door 330 with RWD will be an even better experience.

Good luck!

·
Here since day one
7,181 Posts
RChoudry said:
I got PP SP Xe HS Jet black/black

I've always liked the two door and the four door. I realized I didn't have any particular need for two extra doors and also didn;t care for the cosmetic changes done to the 2002 4 door model. On the other hand, the 2 door that I sampled before ordering had beautiful clears front and rear. It really looked a lot better than the 4 door.

I've seen your pics, Alan, beautiful!

-RChoudry
thanks for the compliment . . . your car is going to be a twin to mine !!!

I love the black on black . . . I always look at my car and can't help thinking to myself how good it looks even after 21 months of ownership !!

Congrats and again . . . do not worry, you are going to love the 2002 steering :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts