BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
----- Steering fluid leaking from rubber boot on right side ------

I just brought a 1990 e30 with 162k miles for 1,600. The guy wanted 2,300 but he went down to 1,600 because there was a power steering leak. When I got home I jack up and notice the boot on the steering rack is leaking power steering fluid bad.
I squeeze the boot and there seem to be a cut on the boot.

My question is can I replace just the boot which i see on ebay for 3.00 or do I have to replace the whole steering rack which cost 300.00 and 300.00 for labor..

so guys you think i got a good for the price i paid? considering that he got all the paper work and the car seem to be well maintain beside that leak..

:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
I just brought a 1990 e30 with 162k miles for 1,600. The guy wanted 2,300 but he went down to 1,600 because there was a power steering leak. When I got home I jack up and notice the boot on the steering rack is leaking power steering fluid bad.
I squeeze the boot and there seem to be a cut on the boot.

My question is can I replace just the boot which i see on ebay for 3.00 or do I have to replace the whole steering rack which cost 300.00 and 300.00 for labor..

so guys you think i got a good for the price i paid? considering that he got all the paper work and the car seem to be well maintain beside that leak..

:eek:
are you menchanically minded? you could do the steering rack yourself to save money. you can also get your existing one rebuilt aswell

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do I have to replace the whole rack or just the boot. How hard it is to replace the boot and is it better to replace the whole rack? also do i have to do the alignment afterward? Can someone help with these question please? Also I would work on this car but I don't have tools or a place to work on it...:tsk:

also did i get a good price on the car?

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
So do I have to replace the whole rack or just the boot. How hard it is to replace the boot and is it better to replace the whole rack? also do i have to do the alignment afterward? Can someone help with these question please? Also I would work on this car but I don't have tools or a place to work on it...:tsk:

also did i get a good price on the car?
you can replace the rack, or rebuild your current rack. its not the boot thats leaking, its the seal. those are really your two options.

you should get an alignment afterwards, or you can do a broomstick alignment, which is just measuring the distance from wheel to wheel front and back to adjust the toe.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
+1 on the broomstick alignment, i havent taken a car to the shop for that in probably 5 years

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man... that sucks i thought i would only need to change the boot, anyone know a place to get a "NICE RACK" for a decent price... and anyone who can install it for a good price too... and is there a write up on how a broom stick alignment works...

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
man... that sucks i thought i would only need to change the boot, anyone know a place to get a "NICE RACK" for a decent price... and anyone who can install it for a good price too... and is there a write up on how a broom stick alignment works...
you can find good ones at junkyards or you can just drop the money into a rebuilt.

and you broomstick alignment
http://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

i dont use pins, i just mark the tire with a paint pin

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
you can find good ones at junkyards or you can just drop the money into a rebuilt.

and you broomstick alignment
http://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

i dont use pins, i just mark the tire with a paint pin
there is probably someone on here from your state? i dont know what states everyone is in (dont take much notice of that haha) they might help you do it. or get a friend or something to do it. you could always take it to a shop to do as well. they will do it for the price of labour seeing as you sourced the part yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there anything else I got to replace beside the rack. Meaning when I order the rack is there any other parts that I need to charge.. I might try to work on this myself when i find the time...

·
Registered
538 Posts
You should probably replace the power steering hoses, the rebuilt rack should come with the tie rods (if not get those).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your talking about the the inner tie rods right? The bushing need to be replace one of them look pretty bad, should I just replace the control arms or can I just replace the bushing. How can you tell if the control arm needs to be replace...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bav. Auto has the tie rods as a unit for $44.95, of course you would need two. Some places may have the inner and outer separate, so keep that in mind. As far as the bushing goes, if it's the one I believe you're talking about that is available separately. To determine if the control arm needs replaced (the bearing actually unless the control arm is bent), you check for play or looseness. If the "boot" is tore at the bearings you probably should replace the arm (dirt, grime, etc. will cause the bearing to wear quickly). New control arms are about $80 (the bearings are installed). If the control arm has never been replaced it is likely wore. If these parts are wore you can't get a good alignment, and of course your tires will wear irregularly and/or quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts