BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've replaced all the suspension/steering joints. Even the rear ball joints. I had a shake in the brakes with slight pressure so got the disks skimmed, fixed the Vanos, DISA and replaced oil seals and it was all fixed. None of this was to fix this issue, it just needed it when I got the car. The car only had under 100K Miles on it so I didn't change the struts. We are now a year on from that.

Ever since that effort, I've had steering wander at low speed. 60MPH and over it seems to tighten up :dunno:

I have the cheapest Chinese tyres I could find fitted (KUMA I think), I was outta cash. What came with it was illegal and dangerous. I'm thinking it's tyres, but could it be something else ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Urghh. Bilstein B8 shocks are about US$800 here for 4 corners.
The old ones look ok, no leaks and under 100K miles.

Tyres are a lot cheaper :rofl:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And ALL the 530i's are auto.

Found a pair of 2nd hand bilsteins on ebay.au for about $US170. Pickup even ....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
It wanders on the road, but aligned just fine? I would think that would point to tires or steering box.

Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Pretty sure he meant the steering rack.
Yes, thanks Brandon.

The 4 wheel alignment is a key to me. If the car passes the 4 wheel test, but still wanders, then that tells me it's not in the normal wear areas. That would say to me tires or steering mechanism, box, rack, I have a box, you have a rack, different name same function.

Any chance of borrowing a different set of wheels and tires from a fellow bmw friend to test the tire theory? Much easier than borrowing a rack. :)
Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, the rack looked ok when I did all the joints and this issue only appears around 45 to 60MPH while going straight ahead.
I have a feeling it's the tyres, they were really cheap, like US$290 for all 4 corners.
I'll wear em out and replace em first. I'm sure that won't take long.

I don't know anyone down here with another 530i to swap wheels with.
All the vehicles in the local BMW club I'm in only have 2 wheels :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ahh, the rack looked ok when I did all the joints and this issue only appears around 45 to 60MPH while going straight ahead.
I have a feeling it's the tyres, they were really cheap, like US$290 for all 4 corners.

Robin, there are quite a few Aussies that drop in here from time to time, don't think it impossible you might encounter someone who would let you swap rubber for an hour if you keep your eyes open. Aussies seem quite a warm and helpful bunch.

Jim

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

What tires are you currently using? Post some pictures of the tires. Asymmetric tires can wander since they typically don't have a solid/continuous center rib.

Rotate your tires front to back etc. to see if anything changes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts