BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Outlander
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I got a message that says Steering! and when I look at the details it says something like Steering fluid or hydraullics fluid (leak or low or something..). Call BMW roadside assitance. There was also a tilted car icon in the steering wheel dash.

Is this a serious error? The car drove fine. Is this something I can fix at home?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
can you post the exact wording of the error message please ! could be steering angle sensor having a fit OR the power steering fluid is low ! so post it on up here , then we can give our opinions on the right issue !!

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
CHF 11S is the power steering fluid used, the reservoir is the black canister to the right of the engine when you are standing in front of the car looking at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your car is low on power steering fluid (CHF 11S). Most likely, the error appeared while braking and turning. If this was the first time, then it will reset after stopping and restarting the car. It will, however, return. The power steering system also supplies the fluid for the active roll stabilization. It's easy enough to add fluid, just make sure you use the proper fluid (CHF 11S). If after topping the reservoir, the error returns in a short period of time you need to check for leaks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
check for leaks...and top it off

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got the same caution light this week!! So much sensor in these cars!! Anyhow. You guys mention CHF 11S. Is that something I can just pick up from local autoparts place? Or BMW only?

Thanks!

SC

·
Registered
409 Posts
If its cold where you are the fluid can contract enough that when the fluid is close to the refill line the temperature can drop it giving you this warning. It happened on my dad's E38 up in Vermont last winter. I was scared the brakes were going out on me in poor conditions. It was four degrees fahrenheit.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I just got the same caution light this week!! So much sensor in these cars!! Anyhow. You guys mention CHF 11S. Is that something I can just pick up from local autoparts place? Or BMW only?

Thanks!

SC
most motorists stores here sell off the shelf bud ! so yes you should easily be able to get the same way stateside !:thumbup:

·
The Outlander
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the info! I'll check for the fluid level and add more if needed. Glad it's not another expensive repair!!
jkess14 - It was super cold that morning and probably one of the reasons!!
ls6901 - It did happen when I was on a slope and braking and turning!! ur a genuis!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd recommend picking up a can or two and a jug of the blue BMW antifreeze at the same time. I've found Pentosin at a high end import parts shop, but it wasn't any less expensive than at the dealership. Better to be prepared and don't let yourself be talked into buying off the shelf at an Autozone or O'Rilley. The salesmen simply don't know the differences. You wouldn't want a crossover pipe failure because some young guy told you the green stuff is exactly the same.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Weird...I just got the same warning light. I noticed it was coming on each time I go down a spiral parking garage ramp (consistent with what was said above about turning). I checked the power steering fluid and it isn't even registering on the dip stick (nothing between min - max). I'll be going by my dealer today and ask them to put some in.

·
The Outlander
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I bought it for 22 at NAPA and didn't use much. The car feels like it handles slightly better ... but that might just be in my head!

·
Registered
3 Posts
steering tilted car lights

me too steering fluid low after other work, coolant stuff...02 w 105K.... PentosinS-11 available at NAPA 22 per liter or BMW? Or other...steering fluid low must have pentosin that to fix these warnining lights and yes it does effect hydraulic stabilizing system, but only if fluid really low, most cases just top up resevoir to register on dippy stick and beware if comes back on , other leak that may need dealt with...I was releived just a little top up and miles to keepon crusin in the 7... what you expect zero maintenance of life giving fluids after 8 years and 100K

·
Registered
603 Posts
I got that same damn message yesterday for the 1st time. It was freezing and snowing and I fishtailed the car and that steering message came on. It disappeared right after I shut the car off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts