BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out what is going on with my steering/suspension. :(
I hear a clicking/clunking noise coming from the front drivers side when going over small bumps in the pavement.
I usually only hear it at very low speeds and it almost always happens with the wheel turned.

Here is a video of it happening: http://youtu.be/VFmiKoNWubg
Sorry it is very noisy from other vehicles but you can hear the click at 7 or 8 seconds, louder again at 16, worst at 40 seconds (it clicks a bunch of times, sounds almost like brittle plastic pieces cracking)

I have already replaced a lot of things:
Both driver and passenger tie rod assemblies
Both front wishbones
Both front tension struts
Drivers side sway bar link, passenger side sway bar link was inspected by mechanic
Both front struts
Newer tires

Any other components I forgot about that I should take a look at?

· '12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,994 Posts
All I hear in that video are cars going by on a nearby street but it his original post says that he has ALREADY replaced all the things people are presenting in this thread so what gives?

· Registered
5,577 Posts
Please make a better record next time. Do it next to a wall so that can reflect back any noise from the wheel.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked power steering fluid level, it's Ok. Replaced the driver side sway bar link. Still popping and I feel like there's more pops now. Also I notice when my car is turned off and you move the steering wheel from left to right there's popping you can feel in the steering wheel but can't hear outside the car. Also after taking the front right wheel and putting it back on, when I sat in the driver seat I heard a loud pop.

· Registered
269 Posts
Yep thrust arm mine are showing wear and the clicking started. Had my oil done at dealer and they pointed them out as needing replacement

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured out the problem! I was getting an alignment done when the shop told me that I needed a new steering rack. There is power steering fluid leaking down the control arms and they said they could hear the rack and pinion popping out of the bushing. This explains why my ride has not been perfect, the clunking over bumps, and the clicking when turning the steering wheel left and right with the car off. :)

· Registered
868 Posts
I figured out the problem! I was getting an alignment done when the shop told me that I needed a new steering rack. There is power steering fluid leaking down the control arms and they said they could hear the rack and pinion popping out of the bushing. This explains why my ride has not been perfect, the clunking over bumps, and the clicking when turning the steering wheel left and right with the car off. :)
This is interesting to me. I have my 2003 760Li with 202K miles on it, but the steering rack has maybe 100-120K on it, not sure. It's leaking, giving me low fluid errors and clicks like crazy on slow, windy mountain roads, especially. You are steering straight, then need to bear left and it clicks. Not so much when going right.

strangely, I cannot repro it in a level parking lot at those speeds.

I'll take a look at this and get back to the forum to see if it solves it by replacing the rack. I wish we had a resolution on what happened in this case after the original poster replaced his.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.