BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suspect there is crud in the steering rack...so if I can remove these two capped...I then could bleed from the bottom. Anyone know how to remove these pressure lines? They are not "twist off". 20190304_150750.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
!

·
BeeemerBro
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Over the last couple of days I've been exercising this tight/heavy steering demon. It's loosening up! But still not at Peak Performance. I've been adding and subtracting ATF. I think a part of the remedy is to change out the power steering reservoir perhaps the strainer has blockage. Reservoir should be in by this Friday. The Driving Experience is acceptable at regular speeds. However at low speeds parking there is stagnation and hesitation.

·
BeeemerBro
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So read what I've just researched concerning the steering at low speeds...
*Okay guys, have answers. Problem as described above recently started on my wife's 04. It's not the rack, hoses or pump. It's the lower shaft which contains the "double joint", may vary in terms of terminology depending on year, but it's the part of the shaft that has a u-joint in it. This shaft has rubber seals on it, once the let water in, the shaft rusts and binds. Pump works extra hard as well, trying to compensate for such. Squeal you hear at steering wheel can also be heard under the car, it's from the binding u-joint. If you don't have the squeal you can first try draining the fluid, adding lubrizol and then top off with fresh fluid. Dealer buddy has had success with the lubrizol treatment. After filled run at 2500 to 3000 rpm and turn wheel fully ended to end 35 times. Problem solved.*

·
BeeemerBro
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep! That was the problem...the coupler! Steering wheel doesn't resist me while maneuvering the car at slow speeds and tight parking ***128515;

See:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12935513
06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k
Thought I would revisit the steering improvement for RescueRed..its been two days now since I refreshed the power steering with this lubegaard ps fluid replacement. I can report there is yet a major difference!...(probably will only get better over time too)
Ball joints replaced upper and lower control arms replaced.
Came across this product while at the Amazon site, I'm not too quick to label everything snake oil, I try to keep an open mind although I have been burned a couple of times in the distant past.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
You mention subtracting and adding ATF above but the picture you show is power steering fluid. What is noted on the cap to the reservoir?

·
BeeemerBro
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You mention subtracting and adding ATF above but the picture you show is power steering fluid. What is noted on the cap to the reservoir?
Yeah that's right! That was a concern of mine at the time of discovery...on the car's reservoir cap its..ATF.
However, this stuff promises to take the place of the recommended ATF. It's not red but clear-esh. But when it mixes (label says its compatible with dextron 6). Its red. The same transmission fluid required by BMW for the X3 e83 GM transmission...idk about the one transmission from France .

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good to know it's out there. I just did a subtract and add using Castrol synthetic ATF. Will do it again in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The reservoir doesn't hold much. I didn't remove the lives to drain everything just did what was in the res and will do it a few time. Had other more pressing issues. And it's pretty hot in the garage this time of the year.

·
BeeemerBro
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here's what I used to draw out the fluid as you can see I added a simple BK straw...this is flexible so that I can maneuver right in to the line then I pump away.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
The reservoir doesn't hold much. I didn't remove the lives to drain everything just did what was in the res and will do it a few time. Had other more pressing issues. And it's pretty hot in the garage this time of the year.
Don’t forget that there will still be fluid in the lines and rack so a few drain/fills are easy. Also good practice to change the reservoir because t has a built in filter; when you see fluid dribbling out the vent in the cap, you know it’s time for a new reservoir. The N52 takes CHF11. No idea what you have.

Sent from space

1 - 17 of 17 Posts