BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 540 with sport package has developed a problem. When accelerating and turning the wheel, the power steering seems to go out. In other words, the steering tightens up and it's impossible to steer the car for a brief few seconds. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks for your assistance

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Power steering fluid? That should be a simple check.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Mine did the same exact thing last year. Your not going to like the answer but here goes.

Power Steering Pump is going out!

Let me make sure you have the same simptoms as mine.

Car drives fine, but when you make a left or right turn it starts to turn then right as your turning it's like it won't turn anymore in that direction or real hard to turn? It was really noticable doing over 50 mph turning on an on/off ramp on the express way or when hard acceleration from a stop doing a turn.

Well there is some good news though. You might be able to save some cash and get a replacement part where I got mine. I got a replacement pump from LKQ http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp
for about $90. It came off of a 2002 540 and had my brother install it. LKQ is a great place to get good used parts (kind like a junk yard) and they warranty any part you get them for 7 months, beats the hundreds I would have spent going to the dealer.

If you have any questions let me know and Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
This car should still be under warranty (unless you have over 50k miles), take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Fiveforty said:
wow, thanks for the heads up, I'm bringing the car to my mechanic tomorrow morning. How did you know that was the problem?
My brother is a 10 year BMW Mechanic, I told him the symptoms that I was having. He then took my car for a spin and in about 5 minutes came back and told me what the problem was.

He did tell me that I could get the pump rebuilt but I didn't want to wait 1-2 weeks for them to rebuild it so I just bought another one.

I will tell you that after the new was installed no more hard steering and the car drives 100% better. I didn't realize how tough the steering got with the old pump, I guess I got use to it because it was going out slowly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll probably have to replace mine too. My mechanic just changed the PS fluid, if that doesn't help he can have a pump in 2 days. The pump is going to cost around $300 plus labor. I hate to spend the money but I would like to keep the car for another year or so. Thanks for your help.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Fiveforty said:
I'll probably have to replace mine too. My mechanic just changed the PS fluid, if that doesn't help he can have a pump in 2 days. The pump is going to cost around $300 plus labor. I hate to spend the money but I would like to keep the car for another year or so. Thanks for your help.
Check LKQ first. http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp

They might have a used pump for a 3rd of the price, even better since you don't plan on keeping the car :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 02 540 with sport package has developed a problem. When accelerating and turning the wheel, the power steering seems to go out. In other words, the steering tightens up and it's impossible to steer the car for a brief few seconds. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks for your assistance
I have the same exact problem
Did you ever find out what the cause is and do you know if BMW has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for it? It's really dangerous and I need to get it resolved. It's been happening since I bought the car on 2000 but since it's out of warranty I'm wondering if BMW will do anything about it.
Please let me know
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.