Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bimmers,
I have long read posts of users complaining about the front left-hand side of the BMW F30 which seem to come from the shock absorbers and other suspension components. At first it is really possible to believe in defects in the suspension but in fact it is a gap in the steering box. I decided to take the car to the BMW dealership here in Brazil to find out the defect having them presented as a solution the complete exchange of the suspension assembly and the steering box of the car. As we know this type of service at the dealership is extremely car and for mistrust of the diagnosis found I decided to seek the opinion of other workshops specialized in BMW which informed that was not necessary to change the components of the suspension because the defect that caused the noise was coming from the steering rack. It was suggested to change the steering box at a cost of $ 3,500.00. As it was an extremely high amount I decided to study the operation of the electric steering box of BMW and I discovered that the solution of the problem is in the screw that regulates the steering rack as pictured below.

For this chronic problem BMW has developed a repair kit for electric steering rack Part Number 32106891974 which costs about 40 dollars and can be ordered from any BMW dealer in the world.
To better clarify the subject and to have images of the piece see the explanatory video that is in the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UAwQNN_Zak

After replacing this component of the steering rack the noises I had in my car were simply gone. Here's how to replace this part step by step.
STEP 1
With the car off, disconnect the battery cables.
STEP 2
Unscrew the protective plate below the engine of the car.
STEP 3
With a 38-inch wrench, unscrew the left and right tie rod (Part Number 32106799960 and 32106799965) from the steering box.
STEP 4
Disconnect the cables that is connected to the steering box
STEP 5
With a 12-inch wrench unscrew the steering box from the lower joint assy (Part number 32306791295)
STEP 6
Unscrew the steering rack from the Front Axle
STEP 7
Unscrew the steering cover adjustment cover as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWM4gTl_vqE
Beyond the cover you must remove the spring and the inner part. Easy removal.
STEP 8
Place the new part and all components (Part Number components 32106891974) in place of the part that was removed.
STEP 9
Tighten the KIT's repair cover until it is level with the steering box frame. ATTENTION: Do not force and tighten the part without leaving the heavy direction. With the car suspended, check it by moving your hands on the tire and turning the wheel from side to side. You should be able to spin the wheel without much effort.
STEP 10
Reinstall the steering box in place and reinsert all removed parts into their proper locations. Take a ride in the car and make sure the noise persists. If the noise persists, make a slight squeeze on the cover of the repair kit and adjust the torque to leave the heavy direction until the noise disappears completely when you are moving.

I'm sorry about my english but i used google translate do send everybody this precious information._a_

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
There was a thread in the other forum that describes noise from steering rack(when steering wheel has play while engine is off), and BMW has a repair kit for it.

Is this the same issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a thread in the other forum that describes noise from steering rack(when steering wheel has play while engine is off), and BMW has a repair kit for it.

Is this the same issue?
That is not the same issue. The noises appear when the car is in moving

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the repair kit and a cheap 2 pin adjustable spanner to do the replacement of the thrust piece. The spanner got the cap off but was far too weak to tighten back down after install. The tool from the Ukraine was too expensive to ship, so I ended up cutting two 3/8 drill bits to insert into the holes. A long screwdriver in between gave sufficient torque to tighten the cap down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts