Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep getting steering response warning especially when in reverse. When I get it steering becomes sluggish then its back to normal. I clear it in IDrive, gets all systems ok but seems to start the process all over again. Thinking steering fluid low but where do I check. There is no warning low fluid warning. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a recurring steering fault a few years ago. It turned out that I had a bad trunk seal, which was allowing water ingress. Apparently the steering fault was coming from a module inside the back wall of the trunk, where moisture was accumulating and wires were getting corroded. New module, wires, and trunk seal, no problems since...

·
Michael
2,273 Posts
If you go to the TIS or Parts you will find the reservoir, remove the cap and you will find a level indicator, easy really. If slightly low just fill to line make sure car is level as always when doing levels. If the reservoir is empty chances are you have a leak. To bleed the system and do a reset if necessary, I think it will be the same as other models and that is to move the steering full lock to lock about 6 times with the engine on of course. this often clears minor issues!!

·
Michael
2,273 Posts
Just looked at your window initialising thread after battery change! the steering issue can also be related to the battery replacement as the steering also has to be initialised after a battery change!!!

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't the RWD F06/F12/F13 have electronic steering...thus no power steering reservoir? If you have an AWD model...then you do have hydraulic power steering and on the V8...the PS reservoir is located on the front left side of the engine bay. At least I think this is the way on the N63TU:

{650i RWD doesn't have a PS reservoir}

{650ix AWD has a PS reservoir}

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had my independent bmw mech check it out. Results were eps fault #48323f1 which is an electrical system energy fault and fault#29b500 that the vehicle auxiliary battery part #61212432179 which kicks the voltage up to 24 volts for steering system was failing the load test. Battery replaced, codes erased, good to go.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
:thumbup:Thanks for the update. Good to know, especially if you have electronic steering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts