BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
fear the lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I broght my 2001 325i in for its first oil change. They gave me a 330i loaner car and immediately I noticed that the steering seemed much more stiff than my car, and I loved it. The in service date for my car is Jan 2001, so I'm fairly certain it has the dumbed down steering... but when I called up the service department, they said they had no idea what I was talking about and there were no warranty notifications on my car.

what's the deal?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Hi,

welcome aboard. Use the search, there are lots of posts on that topic.

For instance : 325i retrofit

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I just went through this. I called and emailed BMW NA customer service and at first they said "no", it's only for the 330. Then I get a call and they say "do you still want it?" and "Which dealer should we send the parts to?"

I'm getting it on Thursday,
Haus

·
Davis? cows?...what cows?
91 Posts
When exactly did BMW change their steering system ?

heard that the 323i's have tighter steering, but for some reason mine feels a little twitchy on freeways.... maybe its just me :dunno:

G

·
Sigh...

The "Org-ing" of the Fest is now complete...

But we're still waiting for the first legitimate 37 degree beep question.

·
10,856 Posts
TD said:
Sigh...

The "Org-ing" of the Fest is now complete...

But we're still waiting for the first legitimate 37 degree beep question.
Oh come on, TD. You were new once, too.

Newbies are fine as long as they aren't terminally so. About a year ago, I was pretty dumb as I recall. (No one had better take that opening.)

G

·
I guess at this point, the retrofit has been so beaten to death that I would think people would be able to do a quick search and learn all that they need to know and more.

Perhaps I jumped on this unjustly.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
asura0s9 said:
When exactly did BMW change their steering system ?

heard that the 323i's have tighter steering, but for some reason mine feels a little twitchy on freeways.... maybe its just me :dunno:
Oh no! You got the directional instability issue :D

Actually, a lot of earlier owners (myself included) discussed about the twitch in the earlier .org days. This issue was obscured once the 2001 and the now famous "light steering" came up.

You don't hear much about this issue from the earlier cars because.....

We found that air pressure has a lot to do with it. So, maybe you should check the air pressure and make sure it is factory spec.

Have fun :p

·
Davis? cows?...what cows?
91 Posts
DaveN323i said:

Oh no! You got the directional instability issue :D

Actually, a lot of earlier owners (myself included) discussed about the twitch in the earlier .org days. This issue was obscured once the 2001 and the now famous "light steering" came up.

You don't hear much about this issue from the earlier cars because.....

We found that air pressure has a lot to do with it. So, maybe you should check the air pressure and make sure it is factory spec.

Have fun :p
air pressure ? .....i'm assuming its the air pressure in the tires rite ??

THANX DAVEN !! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts