BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to have a slight shudder through my steering when slowing down but its only when i hit about 60-50mph under normal breaking.i here about these control arm things but i am not sure any ideas. thank you:dunno:

·
Trying to figure it out.
140 Posts
i seem to have a slight shudder through my steering when slowing down but its only when i hit about 60-50mph under normal breaking.i here about these control arm things but i am not sure any ideas. thank you:dunno:
Check your front rotors along with your control arm bushings.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm having the same problem :(. I don't think it's my rotors since it happens randomly. As soon as I step on the brakes lightly at 50 mph my steering shakes. If I hit the brakes hard it's fine. I'll have to take a look at my Thrust Arm". I have a feeling the bushings are worn since the car already has 115,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I had the same symptom as you, but in my case it most definitely was the rotors.
Last weekend I swapped my 1.5 year old Balo OEM front rotors with ATE PremiumPro slotted ones from Tirerack (~$70 each). I was getting pretty severe steering wheel shaking when braking from 50-70 mph, appeared within a month or two of installing the OEM rotors with Axxis Deluxe pads last year. Using dial indicator measured .003 run-out on both rotors.
Anyway, stopping is now butter smooth from all speeds. I also carefully wirebrushed the hub/rotor mating surface, and wirewheeled all 4 slide pins (had some hard black deposits on them), so it could be any or all of the three things (warped rotors, sticking slide pins, or some corrosion on the hub face) that caused the juddering.
I used the same AD pads, since they have tons of material on them.
YMMV
cheers
Kurt
99 528iA sport
Philly

·
Registered
74 Posts
I Had The Same Problem

Below was a post I wrote...I had a similar (not exact) problem like yours. The steering wheel shook violently when I stepped on the brake when going over a bump, pothole...They change my strut bushing...and the problem was resolved.

David

#5 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM
grdpder
Mein auto: 2001 BMW 530i
View My Garage

it happended to me too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened to my 2001 530i...It vibrated violently when going over a bump or pothole while simultaneously stepping on the brakes...Initially, service advisor stated they could not find anything wrong. So, the problem persisted...Until, passing the 50 K miles mark, they found the problem. The advisor told me that they found the problem and as a one time freebie, they will replace the strut bushing at dealers expense...

A new problem came up with my car. Now, my car stalls periodically when I step on the gas from a complete stop...I think it is the cam sensor...Will the dealer cover it? Is there a recall on this? Thanks in advance.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts