BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sort of ignoring this problem...sort of trying to convince myself it was the road. Lately my steering shudders when I'm going over 60 and I brake. Any ideas why? I got the steering retrofit done about a couple of months ago, and I know it started happening after that....but maybe not immediately. They did a 4-wheel alignment too when they did the retrofit. If its not the retrofit or the alignment (if done wrong) thats causing the problem, my other guess would be the fact that my front passenger side tire has some sort of leak I think. Every couple of days it loses substantial amount of air and I have to keep refilling. Haven't got it checked out yet. I filled air yesterday too. But this morning I felt the shudder again even though I don't think it has lost that much air. Also,I have almost 24000 miles on my Turanzas.

Why would it only happen when I'm going over 60?
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
While your tire is definitely in need of repair/replacement, the shudder is caused by warped brake rotors. They're covered under the maintenance warranty so setup an appointment to get 'em replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Roger that- Its the rotors!!!

I've got a '99 3er and had the rotors replaced @ 29K. The car had the same symptoms. You didn't mention the year of your car.... if the dealer tells you it isn't covered, tell them to go back and check the service bulletins as there is one on this issue. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Its a 2001 325i. So you guys don't think it has anything to do with that leaky tire, right? I just set up an appointment with a different service shop actually (Curry's in Chantilly, VA) to have them look at my tire and the vibration problem too. Going there on Monday. Maybe I should also set up an appointment with my dealer if its not a tire problem. Ah this is what I'll do. On Monday I'll find out from the Currys guys whats causing the problem.. if they say its not the tire or they say its the rotors then I'm calling up the dealer. Sounds like a plan? :dunno:
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
I say skip the little shop all together. It's definitely the rotors and as geomax said, a very common problem. The leaky tire is most likely a nail or faulty valve stem, and if the nail isn't on the side of the tire then a plug/patch will fix that easily. Your dealership should be able to take care of it all for ya, so save yourself some time and possible hassle and just go there! My recommendation anyhow. :)
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
3,440 Posts
Sounds like the BIV (Brake Induced Vibration). There is a SI out regarding it. Usually involves replacing the front rotors, brake pads, steering coupler, and updated/larger control arm brackets with bushings. My 330Ci had this after the retrofit was done. A lot of the early E46 sedans had this problem. The steering rack BMW uses to do the retrofit is the same rack that was in the 1999 models (only sedans, coupes weren't built until MY 2000). The part acutally ran from 09/98 until 04/99. This is from the 12/01 ETK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok but I have a feeling my dealer is gonna say there's no TSB for rotor warp problem....I just know them. Actually, I was looking here:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/0106A043.html
and I also couldn't find any TSB's for 2001 325's for vibration when braking...but there is one for 2000 323's. So I really doubt that the dealer is gonna agree to the TSB argument. Oh well, I am going to set up an appointment with them and tell them its Brake Induced Vibration... that started happening after the retrofit. Lets see....

Thanks guys!
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Teej, don't worry about a TSB or anything of the sorts. They will replace the rotors at no cost to you as long as you're still within the confines of your maintenance warranty. Read your warranty manual - it states all you need to know. Just setup an appointment, describe the symptoms, and they'll take care of it for ya.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
webguy330i said:
While your tire is definitely in need of repair/replacement, the shudder is caused by warped brake rotors. They're covered under the maintenance warranty so setup an appointment to get 'em replaced.
I would hesitate to jump all over the rotors right away. From what he described of the tire problem, he's either got a bad leak or un-even wear due to bad leak. I'd say swap the tires (they're at 24,000 miles? My Touranzas were shot at 20) and see if that fixes the problem. If not then I'd blame the rotors.

Always diagnose an auto problem from the easiest to fix to the hardest to fix, eliminate one possiblity at a time until your problem is fixed.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
I agree it could have something to do with the tire, but I'd bet money on the rotors. Besides, they're much cheaper (free) to replace than new tires, which is still a gamble.
 

·
Parking Spot Maven
Joined
·
2,831 Posts
I have actually had the same problem you are describing, but it turned out to be poorly balanced tires. I *swore* it was the rotors, but when I had new tires put on and balanced, the problem disappeared completely. You have to remember that when you brake, it puts more stress on the [front] tires and the vibration just gets amplified, making it feel like rotors. Who knows, it could be both the tires and the rotors!

Since you're getting the vibration even when you aren't braking, have your tires balanced first and checked for deformation. IMHO your dealer will appreciate it if you attempt the cheap fix first before fighting for expensive rotors. If the problem doesn't go away, at least then it won't be such a fight for you to get the rotors if it needs them.

--SONET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SONET said:
I have actually had the same problem you are describing, but it turned out to be poorly balanced tires. I *swore* it was the rotors, but when I had new tires put on and balanced, the problem disappeared completely. You have to remember that when you brake, it puts more stress on the [front] tires and the vibration just gets amplified, making it feel like rotors. Who knows, it could be both the tires and the rotors!

Since you're getting the vibration even when you aren't braking, have your tires balanced first and checked for deformation. IMHO your dealer will appreciate it if you attempt the cheap fix first before fighting for expensive rotors. If the problem doesn't go away, at least then it won't be such a fight for you to get the rotors if it needs them.

--SONET
actually it does vibrate only when I brake at highway speeds (over 60). I'm settng up an appointment to have them look at it. I'll ask them to check the balancing as well as the rotors. And I guess its time for me to get new tires too.... :D Thinking about S-03s...been reading a lot of good things about them. Do you think I can get tirerack to deliver the tires to my dealer and they can put em on when they have my car?? Or should I just get some other place (good reputed place) to do it? Oh I ask so many questions.... :D Oh and I just realized I'll ahve to get 5 new tires..1 as spare..dammit...$$$$$$!!! :mad: Why do tires have to be so expensive?!
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Yeah tirerack will drop-ship them wherever you want; the only thing I'd be careful about is making sure someone at the dealership doesn't just accept the shipment as inventory and then sell/use/take them. I've done this twice but I always ship the tires to my house and then take them to the dealership myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
webguy330i said:
Yeah tirerack will drop-ship them wherever you want; the only thing I'd be careful about is making sure someone at the dealership doesn't just accept the shipment as inventory and then sell/use/take them. I've done this twice but I always ship the tires to my house and then take them to the dealership myself.
Allright this is whats going down. I emailed [email protected] and asked him when they can ship the tires. Once I find out, I'm calling the dealer to let them know they're getting my tires and I'll ask them for anappointment when they get them. I live in an apartment complex and I don't want to go through the hassle of collecting 5 tires from the leasing office and loading em up in my car. So once my dealer has the tires, I'm taking my car in, getting the tires replaced, balanced, aligned, rotors checked. ALso have to get couple of other problems sorted out, including a rattling/vibration noise coming from the center of the steering wheel when going over bumps (oneof the pieces...the plastic or airbag cover is loose I think. When I hold my hand on the center area the noise goes away) I asked them to fix it last time, but they didn't. They didn't even testdrive the car to listen to the problem. Changed some part when they did the retrofit and told me its fixed. :mad:

Thanks a lot again you guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
The HACK said:


I would hesitate to jump all over the rotors right away. From what he described of the tire problem, he's either got a bad leak or un-even wear due to bad leak. I'd say swap the tires (they're at 24,000 miles? My Touranzas were shot at 20) and see if that fixes the problem. If not then I'd blame the rotors.

Always diagnose an auto problem from the easiest to fix to the hardest to fix, eliminate one possiblity at a time until your problem is fixed.
Just to echo this a bit....another option to consider is getting your wheels checked to make sure they're true. It's possible you may have a slight bend in one or more wheels. Find a shop near you that has a Hunter GSP 9700 machine. This is a great device that makes diagnosing wheel/tire issues much easier.

More info at: Hunter GSP 9700
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
robg said:
Teej-

I have the exact same car (2001 325, w/ a similar amount of mileage) and recently started having this problme (braking vibration but only over 60). What was the problem you were having? Rotors?
Since this is an old thread, I'll be brief. Just a suggestion to check tire wear on the front wheels to make sure it's even. I had similar apparent disc-warp symptoms on my old car, and it turned out to be the difference in wear of 1,000 miles and one trackday between the front tires.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,697 Posts
norihaga said:
Since this is an old thread, I'll be brief. Just a suggestion to check tire wear on the front wheels to make sure it's even. I had similar apparent disc-warp symptoms on my old car, and it turned out to be the difference in wear of 1,000 miles and one trackday between the front tires.

:)
Could be. I have about 22k on my Contisports-- no track time though. Were you getting vibration only on braking or while cruising too? I would think if it was the tires, i'd feel vibration during braking and cruising; not just braking. But, I may be mistaken?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top