BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my e65 towards the top of the wheel there is the deterioration of the shiny coat which is beginning to expose the steering wheel which I think will lead to the wheel flaking. How do I fix this? Light poly eurithane? Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I don't think that's the leather coating, that's just a bunch of grime!

The steering wheel becomes shiny because our hands "polish it" when we drive. When we clean it, the shine reduces a little bit. BUT, when we drive our hands excrete oils that also can build up on the leather.

I use Leatherique Pristine Clean every few months and it takes care of the leather very nicely, and the Oil 1x a year.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not grime. What made it worse is the detail spit thought it was grime so they rubbed it hard. It went from being a couple of pin hole spots to the shiny coat being worn

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
I think csmeance is correct....that looks like it just needs a good cleaning.

Also, +1 on pristine clean from leatherique. Good stuff....

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think that's the leather coating, that's just a bunch of grime!

The steering wheel becomes shiny because our hands "polish it" when we drive. When we clean it, the shine reduces a little bit. BUT, when we drive our hands excrete oils that also can build up on the leather.

I use Leatherique Pristine Clean every few months and it takes care of the leather very nicely, and the Oil 1x a year.
+1 what baffles me is that it only happens on the top :dunno:

Auto part Speedometer Finger Hand Automotive wheel system

Bumper Automotive exterior Light Tire Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Mid-size car

Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Auto part Finger Rim

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm confident it's the coating and not dirt and grime. The dealer quoted me 1900$ for a new one installed. They also confirmed that lotion from the drivers Hand is known to take off the steering coating.

·
David
3,549 Posts
I think it's just the wearing of the leather and I am not aware of any way of completely restoring this other than a steering wheel replacement or maybe it can be rewrapped?

I have had black steering wheels that turn a lighter color like this and then tan steering wheels that actually look darker in the more worn areas. Maybe dying the leather could help? Shoe polish makes my black leather shoes look brand new, but I'm sure that this would rub off and make a mess.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I'm confident it's the coating and not dirt and grime. The dealer quoted me 1900$ for a new one installed. They also confirmed that lotion from the drivers Hand is known to take off the steering coating.
^that is bull**** about the hand lotion.

Take some better pictures that aren't so blurry tomorrow with a good camera and post them.

If you want to try cleaning it with some products you may have, mix a solution of Water and Woolite (6 parts water, 1 part woolite). Use a light brush or towel and work it into the wheel. Like I said before, the wheel is NOT supposed to be shiny. The leather is supposed to have a matte finish all around.

If you need it re-wrapped, there's a place that you can send it to, they redo them for around 300 bux and you can have custom stuff done like a thicker grip, perforated leather, etc.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Start looking for a nice used on on ebay. There are also a few leather places that will re wrap the wheel around 300

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's the leather and it will continue to get worst, especially if you try to clean it.
If you are still under warranty you might can get it replaced. Otherwise, you need to get another steering wheel are get that one recovered, or just live with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.