BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 BMW 328xi and when I bought it, the steering wheel controls didn't work or light up. Anything I can fix, or do I have to take it to a shop because of the air bag?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you solve your problem? I am having the same problem on my car.
No but I've come closer: pop your hood and have someone turn the steering wheel while the cars off. (Just put in the keys and don't start it so you can hear it better) it's most likely in need of some penetrating oil underneath where the cabin filter is. Pretty soon here I'll be taking apart where the cabin filter is. (Like 10 bolts) and spraying down some oil. I'll post on here after and let you know how it goes. If I were you I'd check your power steering fluid too. Mine was good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No but I've come closer: pop your hood and have someone turn the steering wheel while the cars off. (Just put in the keys and don't start it so you can hear it better) it's most likely in need of some penetrating oil underneath where the cabin filter is. Pretty soon here I'll be taking apart where the cabin filter is. (Like 10 bolts) and spraying down some oil. I'll post on here after and let you know how it goes. If I were you I'd check your power steering fluid too. Mine was good.
But what does the power steering fluid gotta do with the steering control that are not working? I am going to take a look but I was thinking its something electrical.

·
Ford FX4'n & Bimmer life
142 Posts
has there ever been an aftermarket radio installed? or you prolly have some broken wires or plug unplugged on the clock spring

·
Registered
8 Posts
has there ever been an aftermarket radio installed? or you prolly have some broken wires or plug unplugged on the clock spring
I had the radio out last week but I put it back and its the original radio. I know I plugged everything in the back of the radio. I have to check the clock spring and make sure everything is good.

thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But what does the power steering fluid gotta do with the steering control that are not working? I am going to take a look but I was thinking its something electrical.
Oh crap I commented on my wrong thread ***55357;***56834; My bad. Haven't figured it out yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found my problem it was the clock spring. One of the ribbons was cut so that's why I didn't have any controls working. I changed the steering column complete and now all my controls work but I have a 4x4 and yellow brake light on, which is caused because I changed the steering column which needs to be reprogrammed to the car. Today I am going to try to just put the new clock spring on my old steering column and try it that way, maybe that would solve my problem. Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found my problem it was the clock spring. One of the ribbons was cut so that's why I didn't have any controls working. I changed the steering column complete and now all my controls work but I have a 4x4 and yellow brake light on, which is caused because I changed the steering column which needs to be reprogrammed to the car. Today I am going to try to just put the new clock spring on my old steering column and try it that way, maybe that would solve my problem. Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks
Please do. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts