BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have not replaced that bearing. When my 528i had tight steering, I lubed the lower u-joint with a lot of grease. It helped. It only takes a couple minutes to try it before you start ripping into things.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not replaced that bearing. When my 528i had tight steering, I lubed the lower u-joint with a lot of grease. It helped. It only takes a couple minutes to try it before you start ripping into things.
I hear you. I plan to lube whatever I can find first.
The bearing job seems like a PITA.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. The situation had gotten really bad to a point it's kind of dangerous. While driving you need to really make an afford to return the wheel or you will head straight to the ditch.

found tie rods booths were all torn and broke in half allowed moisture to get in and started to rust the steering gear box pinion shaft, and this was the reason why it was so sticky and stiff.

I hit it with some wet sand paper and Teflon lube all is good now.

·
Wingnut
3,727 Posts
yay..gotta love a good simple diagnosis and fix. i had a similar binding coupla years ago, had the same thing as the earlier post, worked lube in to the lower u joint. merry Christmas and best of the new year to the 16v tribe

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yay..gotta love a good simple diagnosis and fix. i had a similar binding coupla years ago, had the same thing as the earlier post, worked lube in to the lower u joint. merry Christmas and best of the new year to the 16v tribe
Thanks Matt you too. Merry Christmas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts