Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone..
I need you help diagnostic my problem with steering wheel shaking. I have shakes from 66 to 80 mph but only sometimes. It comes and goes. I can drive with shakes for 4 miles but nex day without. When i brake it shakes more. I have two sets of rims an tires both road balanced (winter/summer). In front i have change thrusting arm (bushing and ball joint meyle hd) on both side, both front axle skf. At rear, subframe bushing, all upper arms and right ball joint. My indy can't find any play anywhere. I will apreciate any help.. car is bmw x5 e53 3.0d year 2004..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it pull any direction? Warped rotor, siezed caliper... check brakes. If braking makes it worse its probably in the brakes. The shake is in the steering wheel so its the front end, if it pulls one direction its that side thats winked

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hello everyone..
I need you help diagnostic my problem with steering wheel shaking. I have shakes from 66 to 80 mph but only sometimes. It comes and goes. I can drive with shakes for 4 miles but nex day without. When i brake it shakes more. I have two sets of rims an tires both road balanced (winter/summer). In front i have change thrusting arm (bushing and ball joint meyle hd) on both side, both front axle skf. At rear, subframe bushing, all upper arms and right ball joint. My indy can't find any play anywhere. I will apreciate any help.. car is bmw x5 e53 3.0d year 2004..
Have any of the suspension parts been replaced in the front end? That is the typical cause at the speeds you describe, especially when it increases with braking. I would suspect your control arm bushings are probably shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In front end i changed front upper arm i belive it is called thrust arm? The bushing was torn i also changed ball joints. Every think else has no play. When i brake it brakes straight. No indy can't say what is wrong. Everyone is saying could be this or that... no one is 100% certain. I do not want to throw money away if the parts are fine...

·
Registered
824 Posts
In front end i changed front upper arm i belive it is called thrust arm? The bushing was torn i also changed ball joints. Every think else has no play. When i brake it brakes straight. No indy can't say what is wrong. Everyone is saying could be this or that... no one is 100% certain. I do not want to throw money away if the parts are fine...
How many miles? Not only would you need to replace the thrust arm bushings, but the control arms as well. Especially if it is high mileage and it hasn't been done. You may need to change tie rods as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car have 225000 miles, my indy say there is no play or crack and it is useless to change,... it drives me crazyy

·
Registered
824 Posts
The car have 225000 miles, my indy say there is no play or crack and it is useless to change,... it drives me crazyy
I had about 180,000 on mine when I rebuilt the front suspension. There weren't any cracks or play that I could find either, but it made a huge difference. Took away the 75 to 65 mph braking shimmy too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone..
Had the same problem with my old X5 . I thought it was going to be a major job and cost me a lot . But it turned out all I needed was wheel balancing . Check if your wheels are balanced , sometimes the weights fall off . That was what happened to mine .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i let go off the wheel on highway it drives straight it doesnt pull, the wheel are balenced multiple times. Wheel aligment done 3 times in one year, because one time i drove it to one who supposed to be the best,. They done the aligment, and 1 week later i changed summer to winter tires i found a play in rear control arm, so i changed it and went back for another aligment..Now i'm just waiting for free car lift that i can change the control arm and drop link. And then hope for the best and a lot of praying... i

·
Registered
545 Posts
this is almost always caused by bad thrust arm bushings...i got rid of the oem and replaced with poly urethane and the problem was gone...once in a while i till get a shake nd i go back to get it re balanced and it fixes the shake..

try this...
have some drive it in a parking lot...
slowly roll forward while you watch and listen from the outside...
watch the position of the wheel in the wheel well and listen for a like a dull thud or thump..
while rolling forward just by letting off the brake pedal
then jab at the brake pedal
when they jab at the brake pedal if the thrust arm bushing is worn or weak..youll see the tire change position in the wheel well and youll hear a thud or thump..
the driver will feel and hear maybe as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more stupid question. When it rains my steering wheel doesn't shake. Does anybody know or had similar situation??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow.. That actually sounds like an alignment issue... Maybe too much toe in or toe out

Sent from my S8 Active

·
Registered
545 Posts
Front... Anything is possible....

Check tierod ends too

Sent from my S8 Active

·
e53, s1000RR, DucM900
42 Posts
When was the last time the struts where changed? I get this because I need to change the struts on the x5.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I belive i still have first struts, i'm not sure. But now can struts cause steering wheel shake.... indy didn't said that i have bad struts,, when i push front end down i don,t have bounce...

·
Registered
11 Posts
You tire has a weak area that only shows itself when the rotation spin is great enough to make it happen. At slower speeds it is very hard to find.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 2 sets of tires and rims, winter pirelli and summer goodyear. And chances that i have bad tires are slim. And i allready change back to front all combinations...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem for a few years. Mine is a 2001 X5 with 170K. Changed all the suspension components and tires, and aligned it a couple times. Not helping. Made my crazy! Finally changed the engine mounts, now 90% of the shaking is gone. I changed the motor mounts because I was starting to feel vibration when idled. You might want to look into that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts