BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need you guys help on 2 issues.
First, How to tell if my car equiped with single or dual stage airbags? My car was 97 Oct. 540iA sedan. But it is the Euro spec right hand drive, factory equiped with 8 air bags(A piller, 4 drs), 5 sp. steptronic, S-EDC, Auto-Leveling, rear roller blind, auto tilt pass. side mirrow when Reverse... Those equal to the US 2000 model change according to info on internet.
Secondly, can I fit a late(2003) 3 spoke steering wheel to my car with SRS computer reprogram??
Thanks in advance!

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
bensonc said:
First, How to tell if my car equiped with single or dual stage airbags? My car was 97 Oct. 540iA sedan. But it is the Euro spec right hand drive, factory equiped with 8 air bags(A piller, 4 drs), 5 sp. steptronic, S-EDC, Auto-Leveling, rear roller blind, auto tilt pass. side mirrow when Reverse... Those equal to the US 2000 model change according to info on internet.
Secondly, can I fit a late(2003) 3 spoke steering wheel to my car with SRS computer reprogram??
Thanks in advance!
On US spec E39's from the same year, the problem is one of physical fitment rather than programming. The whole assembly is a different size. I cant imagine that they made two different steering wheel spindles for Euro versus US even if Euro models had dual stage before US, which is also unlikely.

·
Registered
954 Posts
bensonc said:
Thanks in advance!
The newer wheels cannot be installed at all. Worldwide, the E39 driver's airbag went to dual stage in 3/99. Unless you have a 3/99 or later, it is not possible to install the wheel. Very unfortunate for us with earlier models, I know!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will there any chance my Euro 10/97 = 3/99 US??

Tyrone said:
The newer wheels cannot be installed at all. Worldwide, the E39 driver's airbag went to dual stage in 3/99. Unless you have a 3/99 or later, it is not possible to install the wheel. Very unfortunate for us with earlier models, I know!
My steering wheel had coloured emblem and multi function keys. If I open up the airbag, what diffence am I going to see between the single vs dual stage airbag system?? Thanks again for you guys knowledge!! I asked around the shop here in Hong Kong and not getting much help!

·
Registered
954 Posts
bensonc said:
My steering wheel had coloured emblem and multi function keys. If I open up the airbag, what diffence am I going to see between the single vs dual stage airbag system?? Thanks again for you guys knowledge!! I asked around the shop here in Hong Kong and not getting much help!
Your car will have one plug going into the airbag. Dual stage has two--one for each ignition stage. The differences don't end with the airbag though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts