BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having two problems with my 540:
1) Around 80 km/h (50 mph) I get a strong vibration on the steering wheel, with the car unladen not usually, but very strong when carring 2 people on the back seat or any load.

I've had the rims centered, put new tires on, balanced them, aligned, checked everything.
On the other hand, there is some loose movement of the steering around center, but it seems to be normal (there's always a little slack)

2) when driving at slow speeds (20 to 40 miles aprox), irregularities on the pavement (expansion joints, small differences in the pavement level) in the direction the car is moving, causes the front of the car to change direction in a unpleasant way.
I've had this feeling in vehicles with wide tires (pickups, etc), but I don't think this is correct in a BMW.
As I said on previous item, tires are new, re-aligned twice, etc.

Has someone had this problems?
How have you solved them?

I've spent lots of $$ trying to fix this, and hasn't worked. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I would check your front thrust arm bushings (I believe that is the correct term). Looking at the year of your car I'd guess you are near or over 100K on the clock, so they probably need to be replaced. I had the same problem, had new bushings put in, and that fixed it. Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree - 100K plus on the clock = time for front end and steering linkage rebuild. You will be amazed at the transformation in you car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already changed the linkage.
Still have the problem.

The only thing I'm not really sure of is the off center feel of the steering.
The car makes unpleasant (anyway they are small) changes of direction.
Maybe this has something to do with my problem. I dont know yet if this is normal in this car.
For what Ive seen on other threads, this seems to be a common problem to E39's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.