BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum and i am trying to semi restore my 02 325xi with 167k miles. I'm chasing a vibration that has all the symptoms of a front wheel balance issue. However I have had all four wheels balanced and checked for dents. I have new breaks and rotors taking special care with the mounting surfaces hub/rotor/wheel. Also new front axles. I've checked ball joints/tie rods and wheel bearings and all seems tight. I have no vibration issues when applying breaks and I cant hear any bearing noises when going strait or changing directions. Also, I was wondering if worn engine mounts would somehow cause this by screwing up the geometry of the front dif. The mounts look ok but I know they are a common issue with these cars. I'm new to the mysteries of X drive BMW's but I'm the son of a aircraft mechanic and I've fallen in love with this car. Please help.lol

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
While driving or while just sitting? Maybe you already did this, but have you had it aligned by a qualified shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
However I have had all four wheels balanced and checked for dents.
Basic rule is going from outside to inside.
Don't just check the rims for dents but also for rim runout. Spin the wheel by hand and see if there is any egg-shape or side to side movements on the inner edge. 1mm of rim runout already feels as a slight vibration.
Tires, once I had cheap old tires that were prone to vibrate. Once I switched to a good one, vibration went away.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
No prof. alignment yet. I going to after I change the motor mounts. Tires and wheels are new
Odds are motor mounts are not the problem.
Was vibration there before the new tires and wheels?

Give some details. Vibrates at what speeds? And under power and not?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,227 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the time laps from my last post. I had a 4 wheel alignment done and all 4 tires high speed balanced before I dug into this thing just so I can rule them out. The shop also confirmed that my front suspension was tight but my struts were a little tired which I knew. Replaced my engine mounts for ha ha's and they were trashed . Car went down the road better and the vibrations at idle went away but I still had the same issue. while I was under the car I had my son rotate the front wheels and I could tell that both axle shafts were bent about 1/4 of an inch. I zeroed out my mag dial indicator on both ends of the shafts and then measured the center. Dam near .250 out. I ordered a new set from Rock auto and installed them today. PROBLEM SOLVED. I wish I could remember what brand shafts I bought before. Beware of crappy Halfshafts. Thanks guys for all your input! I'm learning the fine art of E46 ownership.lol

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Nice, thanks for reporting back! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts