BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to get a warning light in the dash on occasion when unlocking the car but before starting the ignition. It is a yellow steering wheel with a large arrow above it pointing both left and right. It is accompanied by clicks from the steering column as presumable it is trying to disengage the steering lock.

I can't find any reference to this warning in my user manual, can anyone confirm exactly what the issue might be?

I already have the car booked in to have a rear brake lamp malfuntion error looked at (which has now disappeared after 3 weeks of being on... grrrrr..), will the car also log the error code for the steering so that they will be able to read it?

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
I have started to get a warning light in the dash on occasion when unlocking the car but before starting the ignition. It is a yellow steering wheel with a large arrow above it pointing both left and right. It is accompanied by clicks from the steering column as presumable it is trying to disengage the steering lock.
It's almost certainly an incipient failure of the steering-wheel lock. If it fails totally, it's tow time. The code is in the computer and the service people will know.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The steering lock is a documented problem and the dealer should be able to address the issue. Next time it happens, try jiggling the steering wheel a little bit so that the electronic lock can disengage (kind of like how sometimes one has to wiggle the steering wheel to turn the key with the old-fashioned steering lock).

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I think I saw that "steering wheel warning" in that latest MB commercial: "OMG!! The steering wheel issued a warning light and chime when it was time to turn the wheel!! It saved me from crashing into that building!!!"

"Mercedes Benz: The car for driving incompetents! "

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I think I saw that "steering wheel warning" in that latest MB commercial: "OMG!! The steering wheel issued a warning light and chime when it was time to turn the wheel!! It saved me from crashing into that building!!!"

"Mercedes Benz: The car for driving incompetents! "
This is going slightly off-topic, but sometimes I would like a lane departure warning system for those mid-afternoon, long boring drives. I have a bad habit of dozing off. When everything in Virginia is an hour away and the scenery is incredibly dull, it's very easy to be less-than-awake.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
This is going slightly off-topic, but sometimes I would like a lane departure warning system for those mid-afternoon, long boring drives. I have a bad habit of dozing off. When everything in Virginia is an hour away and the scenery is incredibly dull, it's very easy to be less-than-awake.
Ouch! When that happens to me, I close my eyes for 1-3 seconds and quickly re-open them-when I'm on the interstate with nobody anywhere near in front of me.

With me it's the drink coffee/prostate dilemma-the more I drink, the more I stop.

If the alertness gets real bad, I don't worry about making good time and just pull off into a rest stop with picnic grounds. I rather be slow and alive than quick and dead.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I know the Infiniti M has the lane departure warning and I believe I read somewhere that BMW will offer it too.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I know the Infiniti M has the lane departure warning and I believe I read somewhere that BMW will offer it too.
BMW already has a nice one on the 5er, X5, and 7er that vibrates the steering wheel- I wouldn't want a system that beeps or chimes like Japanese automakers. I think Citroen vibrates the seat but as Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear pointed out, women ended up deliberately driving on the shoulder. :p

Interstates are the most boring for me. Flat, straight, no traffic, constant speeds/cruise control. Generally the faster I go, the more alert I am but at some point that's not economical nor very legal. A couple times I did pull onto the only rest stop (exits are 10-15mi apart sometimes) and wait for the "mid afternoon doldrums" to pass.

Virginia, the state with lots of nothing.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
BMW already has a nice one on the 5er, X5, and 7er that vibrates the steering wheel- I wouldn't want a system that beeps or chimes like Japanese automakers. I think Citroen vibrates the seat but as Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear pointed out, women ended up deliberately driving on the shoulder. :p

Interstates are the most boring for me. Flat, straight, no traffic, constant speeds/cruise control. Generally the faster I go, the more alert I am but at some point that's not economical nor very legal. A couple times I did pull onto the only rest stop (exits are 10-15mi apart sometimes) and wait for the "mid afternoon doldrums" to pass.

Virginia, the state with lots of nothing.
Okay. I knew I read about it somewhere. Maybe it will trickle down to the 3 Series.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts