Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes in the "up" position when I turn off the car but when I start the car up again I have to manually lower it.

Anybody got a clue? I have seen this behavior before (long time ago 4 years or so) when the battery started going bad. The battery is "green" .....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like you've lost your memory setting for the wheel. Here's what I do:

Move the steering wheel down well past where you normally like it. Creep it up until
you get it exactlywhere you want it. Then set the memory on the door switches. Works
pretty good.............if that's all the problem is.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i had the same problem and it was due to a weak battery.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Same here - the problem was intermittant at first, then regular and went away when I replaced the battery. From your post it sounds like you replaced the battery four years ago, so maybe its time?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
you know what's really strange about my steering wheel? it USE to not only go up but in when i took the key out. now, it only goes up and down. ?

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
you know what's really strange about my steering wheel? it USE to not only go up but in when i took the key out. now, it only goes up and down. ?
This makes driving the E39 a 'fun' experience...The Ultimate Driving Machine.....haha.....:)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Maybe you just need to reset your seat position memory, which also of course controls the steering wheel position and side mirrors?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that it's a weak battery. I only have to drive 6 miles to work and back and haven't gotten it on the road to much recently.

I did a test over the weekend and let the car run for about 45 mins and now the steering wheel is working, consistently.

I've also been getting a "Check Rear Lights" issue as well. I checked all of the bulbs and even changed out the rear light holder assemblies. The seat, radio, rear view mirrors all work as designed.

Thanks for all of the posts - everyone's ideas are sound advice.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was having problems, as well. When I lowered the sun visor and opened the vanity mirror, the wheel, however, would move up. So I replaced the ignition switch and that fixed it. The wheel now goes down when I turn on the car, and up when I pull the key out.

I did however, change the battery within the same week... so it may have been the battery... I was not too concerned about the wheel not going up, at the time, that was the least of my worries!

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
my battery was going out, and did this for the last 2 months until it finally failed on me. replaced it and all was well again. This will also cause goofy radio issues, and the seats to stop moving for a bit.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
my battery was going out, and did this for the last 2 months until it finally failed on me. replaced it and all was well again. This will also cause goofy radio issues, and the seats to stop moving for a bit.
you sig... :rofl: but that means the Forester is going to be keeping up until 60?? that ain't right... lebians will look over at us thinking they have bigger balls then us!!! eh???

·
Registered
302 Posts
Loose wire in the connector that is located in the seat? Happened to me once and upon removing the plastic cover around the seat I noticed the connector was not all the way in. I guess check that last if the other things above don't pan out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts