BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you have known, I am slowly writing up notes on the delivery of my car and impressions. So far I have gotten from delivery to Stelvio pass. I have just posted the Stelvio portion....

Take a look here:
http://eastbounddown.com/2009/11/bmw-european-delivery-part-6-stelvio-pass/

I was just showing my wife my write up and it got us wanting to go back. Maybe next year we can order her a new X6, X3, or X1 or something and make the trip back.

Attachments

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
I was just showing my wife my write up and it got us wanting to go back. Maybe next year we can order her a new X6, X3, or X1 or something and make the trip back.
Nice Photos. BTW, Forget ED on an X3 unless you consider South Carolina a foreign country.:angel:

I am hoping the X1 will be on the ED list after it hits the USA market.

I also saw a rerun yesterday of the Top Gear where the trio did a drive of the pass. They agreed it was the best driving road for their Lambo, Porsche and Aston Martin super cars.

Cheers

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Dude, X6 and X3 are both coming out from SC next year. It would be quite a trip to shipping the car to Stevio and back on your dime.

And X1, you would have to wait until 2011.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough point. I had forgotten that the X3 and X6 were being made in SC.

An X1 might work or maybe we will go and try Audi or Porsche or MB Euro Delivery....she will just want an SUV of some sort and we both want to make the trip over again. We will see.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Nice pics.

Did you stop at Nauders to check out this place and the old tanks?

That place has some history! We saw it drove past, made a U-Turn and then went to take some pics. I used Google when we got to our hotel in Bormio, and found some links about it.

This thing was also kind of interesting (Burguisio, Italy, right off the SS40) :

Completely shot up!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pics.

Did you stop at Nauders to check out this place and the old tanks?
No we didn't stop there...though I wish we had. I didn't actually know what it was until you just pointed it out. Interesting...maybe next trip.

I have another trip I took a few years ago (actually in a 320 e90 I owned while living abroad) where we went and did the normandy coast. We saw lots of WWII stuff that trip and if you really want to check out a place that has been shot up (or bomb'd up) I would recoment going to Point du hac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_du_Hoc

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Fair enough point. I had forgotten that the X3 and X6 were being made in SC.

An X1 might work or maybe we will go and try Audi or Porsche or MB Euro Delivery....she will just want an SUV of some sort and we both want to make the trip over again. We will see.
MB GLK will be your option or one of the Audis.

·
Registered
369 Posts
maybe we will go and try Audi or Porsche or MB Euro Delivery
I heard that the are not as good as a BMW Euro Deliv. but....... It would be fun to try them out!!!

:roundel:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard that the are not as good as a BMW Euro Deliv. but....... It would be fun to try them out!!!

I heard that the Porsche one has be put on hold for the moment.....but I think they charge for the Euro delivery anyway instead of passing on a 7% savings.

But your right, it would be fun just to try a different one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also saw a rerun yesterday of the Top Gear where the trio did a drive of the pass. They agreed it was the best driving road for their Lambo, Porsche and Aston Martin super cars.
The Top Gear guys DID have the benefit of shutting down the road for their shoot, though.

I think Stelvio is better-called an "engineering marvel" with arguably "the best views in the world." But as a driver, I didn't enjoy it much. It's really just straight line - 1/2nd gear hairpin - straight line - 1/2nd gear hairpin - straight line - make room for the bicycles - hairpin - straight line - wait for the bus coming through the hairpin - straight line.... on and on... a bit frustrating. ;)

I prefered the sweeping turns, rolling hills and curves in the surrounding areas to the Stelvio, because you can really get into a rhythm with the car. But everyone who does ED should experience the Stelvio Pass once! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
We tried to do Stelvio in Late September. Followed the Nav System, but, it sent us the wrong way - thru Malles Venosta to Glorenza, back into Switzerland and then at Santa Maria Val Muster it headed up to Stelvio Pass. We realized too late. But we really enjoyed that direction, especially when it turned to a dirt road near the end.:rofl:

Not one bicycle or bus - and rarely a car.

Scenery was spectacular, and after Stelvio, we backtracked about a mile to continue the trip toward Italy.

Next time the most tracked way.

-Harry

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We tried to do Stelvio in Late September. Followed the Nav System, but, it sent us the wrong way - thru Malles Venosta to Glorenza, back into Switzerland and then at Santa Maria Val Muster it headed up to Stelvio Pass. We realized too late. But we really enjoyed that direction, especially when it turned to a dirt road near the end.:rofl:

Not one bicycle or bus - and rarely a car.

Scenery was spectacular, and after Stelvio, we backtracked about a mile to continue the trip toward Italy.

Next time the most tracked way.

-Harry
I'm not sure what road it took us on to get there, but your experience sounds pretty similar....about half way up it turns to a dirt road. Very interesting....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure what road it took us on to get there, but your experience sounds pretty similar....about half way up it turns to a dirt road. Very interesting....
Yeah and I was thinking "This looks nothing like the picture the 'Festers' were posting". And even worse, that I might have to go back and start over.

If we had been driving our own ED car, I would have cringed on the dirt road.:eek:

But it was an adventure and next time I'll go up the 'correct' way.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

MB is the equal of BMW just different, with significantly better personal treatment (taxi to and from, hotel room compted, equal but less expensive tours) but no one can match the experience of the Welt. :thumbup: Do it for the car you want and you will not be disappointed.

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
MB is the equal of BMW just different, with significantly better personal treatment (taxi to and from, hotel room compted, equal but less expensive tours) but no one can match the experience of the Welt. :thumbup: Do it for the car you want and you will not be disappointed.
Don't forget the 7% off the top with BMW and 0% (prior to negotiations) for MB.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Don't forget the 7% off the top with BMW and 0% (prior to negotiations) for MB.

Cheers
MB has the same discount and you do not have to, or get to negotiate the price, set by MB at invoice. :) No invoice plus just invoice for US delivery having done both I can find no appreciable difference in the price structure just differrent ways to arrive at the same place. Another glorious ED. :D

My last was a 2010 MB C300 4Matic for my daughter sticker 45K delivered 41K.

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
MB has the same discount and you do not have to, or get to negotiate the price, set by MB at invoice. :) No invoice plus just invoice for US delivery having done both I can find no appreciable difference in the price structure just differrent ways to arrive at the same place. Another glorious ED. :D

My last was a 2010 MB C300 4Matic for my daughter sticker 45K delivered 41K.
Good to know. The dealer I stopped by to talk to about a GLK wasn't as accommodating (no ED discount, no Invoice price) but I wasn't really serious (yet). If the X1 doesn't become available for ED in the next year or two, things will change.

And now back to the original topic.:angel:

Cheers and Thanks again for the Info.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Good to know. The dealer I stopped by to talk to about a GLK wasn't as accommodating (no ED discount, no Invoice price) but I wasn't really serious (yet). If the X1 doesn't become available for ED in the next year or two, things will change.

And now back to the original topic.:angel:

Cheers and Thanks again for the Info.
PM me and I will get a preliminary price from my dealer on a GLK as I would order it, then you will have a point to start from in the future.:D

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
No we didn't stop there...though I wish we had. I didn't actually know what it was until you just pointed it out. Interesting...maybe next trip.

I have another trip I took a few years ago (actually in a 320 e90 I owned while living abroad) where we went and did the normandy coast. We saw lots of WWII stuff that trip and if you really want to check out a place that has been shot up (or bomb'd up) I would recoment going to Point du hac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_du_Hoc

Thanks for sharing this photo. We went there during our 2008 ED when my parents joined us. My dad didn't say a word the whole time we were at the site, but he was overwhelmed and told me later that this place was one of the most somber sites he had ever visited. Really a must if you're in the Normandy area.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Apparently the Stelvio was dethroned from the Best Road in the World category in the latest Top Gear episode by the Transfagarasan, a sinuous mountain pass in Romania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfăgărăşan

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...6,24.66774&spn=0.232975,0.441513&z=11&iwloc=A

I have driven it a long time ago (in an extremely ill handling and underpowered FWD car) and it is truly spectacular. As opposed to the Stelvio, it is much more flowing and as the guys on Top Gear noticed, viewed from above all the corners look as it they were plucked from the world's greatest race tracks.

Problem of course, is getting there...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts