BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question out there for all you people with a Step-Tronic. When I'm driving around normally and I'm in 5th gear everythings all good. When I come to a stop or slow down a lot, the tranny shifts down to 2nd gear by itself right? That part is normal... This is also in the S-Mode. My problem is when the car shifts down to 2nd, I feel my whole car shake or shift. The sound I hear is kinda hard to describe, but the closest sound I can describe it as is a "thud." My cars only 4 months old, and I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. Anyone else have this problem? If it is a problem... Thanks.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
The general determination has been that this is normal, but does not appear in all cars.
More specifically, this is apparently what BMW has been telling people with step.

:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
I have Step, but I do not have the problem you describe, nor I am familiar with what Nick mentioned.

Great help, huh? sorry :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hrm

The other thread helped, but it was all about manual tranny's heh... anyone else with an (dare i say) automatic? (boo-hiss, weaaaak.... yea i know :cry: )
 

·
Awesome power!
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
FlyingToaster said:
I have Step, but I do not have the problem you describe, nor I am familiar with what Nick mentioned.

Great help, huh? sorry :dunno:
I don't have anything like that either. See your dealer...it doesn't sound like a "normal" or acceptable condition. In general, I'd say "thud" ain't good.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Re: hrm

djadamking said:
The other thread helped, but it was all about manual tranny's heh... anyone else with an (dare i say) automatic? (boo-hiss, weaaaak.... yea i know :cry: )
Ooops.

Uh, heh, let me re do the search. I'm 99% sure there was a genuinely relevant thread. :p
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts

·
Revelation 10:7
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
I posted in thread that has been linked, but will add to it a bit here. I do have the Steptronic in my 325i. I also experience a thud when going from 3rd to 2nd. I do a very slight noise, but mostly feel it thud.

The difference is, I only have this happen when the car is in manual mode and I let the car downshift for me. When in Drive or Sport mode, this does not happen. Of course, in my car, Drive and Sport both shift all the way down to 1st gear, Manual mode is the only one that stops at 2nd.

Another thing that I find interesting is does not seem to do this under more aggressive driving. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the car is actually going from 5th straight to 2nd. As opposed to actually shifting down each gear and engine braking, which it sometimes does under heavier brake use.

I will play around a bit the next few days and try some different things.

Regardless, the general opinion is that this is normal. Though definately not present in all cars.
 

·
Shiftin
Joined
·
404 Posts
I had this problem in my '01 325cic.

Not in my '03 330i..:dunno:

I was very curious about that. My 330 also shifts slightly faster in M mode than my 325. Could be a software adjustment.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,183 Posts
I don't have any thuds in my step except sometimes when I am at a lcomplete stop in M2 mode and shift it to 1st and even then it is still rare . . .
 

·
Awesome power!
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
GSR13 said:
Of course, in my car, Drive and Sport both shift all the way down to 1st gear, Manual mode is the only one that stops at 2nd.
This statement piques my curiousity. I don't "sense" that my Step goes into 1st in either Sport or Drive modes (although the indicator doesn't really tell you). The only time it hits 1st is when I drop it down myself in Manual. Do you have special programming or am I sensing it wrong?:dunno: :dunno:
 

·
************************* ***
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
berford said:


This statement piques my curiousity. I don't "sense" that my Step goes into 1st in either Sport or Drive modes (although the indicator doesn't really tell you). The only time it hits 1st is when I drop it down myself in Manual. Do you have special programming or am I sensing it wrong?:dunno: :dunno:
Should be going into first in sport mode. Step down a little harder and count the shifts.

It may not shift back on a rolling stop.
 

·
Awesome power!
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
johnlew said:


Should be going into first in sport mode. Step down a little harder and count the shifts.

It may not shift back on a rolling stop.
I'll check and get back to you on that, but it really has never felt in S mode that it starts out in 1st. I guess trying it both in S & M (not to be confused with...well, you know) keeping an eye on the tach/speedo would give the proper answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From my experience

Well I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one, but still it seems a little odd.

From my understanding, in D and S mode, the car never shifts below 2nd gear and neither in M mode. In D and M mode, the car shifts from whatever gear it's in to 2nd when you come to a complete stop and in S mode, it down-shifts sequentially.

My car has never shifted all the way down to 1st gear in any mode, and I'm not just going by the Indicator on the Dash...

When I manually down-shift in M mode, from 3-2 I never hear the thud or clunk or whatever...

Like-wise in S mode when it downshifts automatically I never hear the thud/clunk.

When I'm in M mode and in 3rd, 4th, 5th gear... and I don't down-shift to a stop, I DO hear the thud/clunk as it goes from any gear straight to 2nd.

When I'm in D mode, I DO hear the thud/clunk when it shifts from any gear straight to 2nd.

Well that's the break-down of my car hehe... I got a LEMON!!! j/k I've just been inclined to drive all day in S-mode... but anyways bottom-line, when I down-shift or the car down-shifts sequentially I never hear the thud or clunk... but when the car drops straight to 2nd as in M (when you don't manually down-shift) or D mode, I always hear the thud/clunk.

I want a new car... :angel: mebbe an M3 for all my troubles :bigpimp: time to ***** and whine at San Francisco BMW... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick's Post

Thanks for the link to the thread Nick... and well it does make me feel a little bit better knowing I'm not the only one... but sigh, still seems a little odd. Anyways, that's just how it goes... I'll talk with the folks at the dealer anyways heh. Thanks for all the posts guys, been a great help.

And let this be a lesson... we all should have gotten Manual's from the START!!!

Time swap out the tranny for a manual!!! yea right...
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Re: Nick's Post

djadamking said:
And let this be a lesson... we all should have gotten Manual's from the START!!!

Time swap out the tranny for a manual!!! yea right...
*grins* Only 4-7K.

Good luck with your dealer.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,183 Posts
Re: Nick's Post

djadamking said:
Thanks for the link to the thread Nick... and well it does make me feel a little bit better knowing I'm not the only one... but sigh, still seems a little odd. Anyways, that's just how it goes... I'll talk with the folks at the dealer anyways heh. Thanks for all the posts guys, been a great help.

And let this be a lesson... we all should have gotten Manual's from the START!!!

Time swap out the tranny for a manual!!! yea right...
well if it makes you feel any better I noticed clunking today when I shift from reverse to drive or vica versa though I never noticed it before today I would still think this were normal . . .
 

·
Awesome power!
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
johnlew said:
paid attention on way home. Starts in first in S mode.
You're right, John. I tried starting out in both in M1 (not to be confused with the gun, Eugie) and S last night. The first shift point in S (matching rpm and mph) can be replicated starting out in M1. The shifting is so smooth in S that I didn't even notice that it was shifting before. It's true that if you punch it a little in S you can feel the shift. If not, it's almost imperceptible. You learn something new every day on this site.:D
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top