Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 318se (2.0 litre) Auto touring 16.5k miles bought April 2005.. Warranty expried.

Washed the car as normal and cleaned the wheels with a new wheel brush I had just bought the other day....
Checked the dip stick and for the first time, found a little mayo deposit on the plastic indicator part...No mayo in filler cap. Use Mobil 1 Extended Life oil, changed 8 months / 5k miles ago.
Mind you for the past month, have been making a lot of short backroad journeys of 12 ~ 14 miles twcie a day....

Checked water level (engine cold). It was a little low. Topped up with about a cup full of distilled water....

That's all the work I did on the car before putting in the garage.

This morning, outside temp about 2c, started car as normal...the engine fired up but erratic idle / lumpy, up and down between 1100 and 1500 rpm , then auto box safe mode indicator came on (lever still in Park), after about 10 seconds the engine revs returned to normal and gradually came down from 1000rpm (normal cold start speed) to slowly drop to 750rpm (normal run speed with AC on)...

OK, I'll switch the engine off for a a few secs and restart...engine idled as normal but autobox 'Safe Mode' indicator light remained on, no problem going into both D and R gears, however up and down shifts were decididly jerky/jolting...I guess 'Safe Mode' causing this...

Drove it gently like this for 6 miles. Stopped and switch off engine while I poped into a shop. Came back started car and autobox 'Safe Mode' indicator had cleared and car drove as smooth and delightfull as normal..Tried S mode, up and down gears and its seems to be back to 100%...

Anyone got any views or perhaps experienecd similar prob..If so what as outcome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but here's a response to a question I'd posted that did help me after I had rough running the next day after washing.

I had a similar problem. It turns out it was easy to fix. I was staring the car (after it had sat cold for a while), moving it a few yards to the upper part of the driveway, turning it off, washing it, and starting it again to move it back to the lower part of the driveway.

In addition to rough idle, I would smell a distinct gas smell for a little bit after starting it the second time.

As it turns out, starting the car from cold, moving it a small amount, and starting it again a short while later causes the rough idle. The engine receives a large amount of fuel when it is cold to ensure it will start and if that excess fuel isn't burnt off, the second time you start it (and the computer still sees the engine as cold since it has never heated up enough), more fuel is added and now you have way to much for it to run smoothly. Once all the extra is burnt off, it should run fine...but that may take a few minutes.

I started at least driving my car around the block first and then parking it to wash it. Since I've done that, I've never again experienced the rough idle when starting it the second time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info konrad330xi.

Others concurr this was probably the problem...An over rich mixture added to rich mixture on start up in the morning causing the engine to splutter and shocking the gearbox into safe mode..

Car seems to drive perfectly since then....:angel:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts