BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which transmission on your 330 w/ ZHP package?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Random posts and threads like this one make it seem like the Steptronic is at least as popular with the ZHP package as the m/t, which is surprising to me. I would have thought that those wanting an a/t wouldn't bother with a more performance oriented option. I'm trying to get a feel for what the ratio of Step to manual owners is.

Feel free to post your reason for getting the Step with the ZHP (we've heard 'em all before), but this poll is mostly about the actual numbers.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I believe ZHP'ers fall into two broad categories:

1) Enthusiasts who can't (or won't) do an M3.

2) Everyone else.

Those who fall into category 1 usually HAVE TO HAVE 3 pedals. No ifs, and or buts. Those who fall into category 2 usually fall in love with the look: the wheels and body kit, and are perfectly happy to tool around in a sledge-o-matic.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
philippek said:
I believe ZHP'ers fall into two broad categories:

1) Enthusiasts who can't (or won't) do an M3.

2) Everyone else.

Those who fall into category 1 usually HAVE TO HAVE 3 pedals. No ifs, and or buts. Those who fall into category 2 usually fall in love with the look: the wheels and body kit, and are perfectly happy to tool around in a sledge-o-matic.
Subsitute BMW for ZHP and Porsche for M3... :D

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
shizat63 said:
Give me a manual tranny, or give me death.

They can have my manual shifter when they pry it out of my cold, dead hand.
:stupid:

Never have and never will own an A/T.

BTW, the polling database is down right now so you cannot vote. :(

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
TLudwig said:
I would have thought that those wanting an a/t wouldn't bother with a more performance oriented option. .
Many (ok most) people only want to drive an auto trans. Look at the percentage of new car sales in the U.S. (not just BMW) and you'll manuals a very small percentage. However, most people want performance too. Why else would even Accords and Camrys have 200+hp?

·
takes the long way home..
1,080 Posts
LDV330i said:
:stupid:

Never have and never will own an A/T.

BTW, the polling database is down right now so you cannot vote. :(
My 1st car was an auto Maxima. Then I bought a 02' 325Ci and learned how to drive stick when I drove it off the dealers lot. I would consider an SMG, but I will never buy a car that only has 2 pedals.

·
Registered
766 Posts
People also buy torque-converter boxes and then spend thousands bolting exhuasts and intakes to them...'nuff said, I think.

TLudwig said:
Random posts and threads like this one make it seem like the Steptronic is at least as popular with the ZHP package as the m/t, which is surprising to me. I would have thought that those wanting an a/t wouldn't bother with a more performance oriented option. I'm trying to get a feel for what the ratio of Step to manual owners is.

Feel free to post your reason for getting the Step with the ZHP (we've heard 'em all before), but this poll is mostly about the actual numbers.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Never did I miss my 6 gears and 3rd pedal so much as when I was at the Performance Center doing the Rat Race (180deg out chase-race, with half dry and half wet track) in a 330iZHP with a slushie box. I suppose I could have tried to autoshift, but it just wasn't the same. The downshift at the end of the corner liked to kick the baloney skin Brigestones out every damn time.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
TLudwig said:

It is just a US thing, E46s in the rest of the world have a higher proportion of manual transmissions.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
My reasons...

1. Car had to be shared with wife part-time and she can't drive manual.

2. The steptronic is one of the better automatic transmissions that I've driven and I don't mind it.

3. Getting the ZHP option, instead of the Sport Package, gave the car a little more performance to compensate slightly for the Step.

4. I was more interested in the handling of the ZHP than the power/acceleration. If I wanted straight line speed off the line I could have gotten an American "muscle car" for a lot cheaper per pony.

Satisfied customer :thumbup:

Oh, and its easier to eat a sandwich while I drive :p

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
norihaga said:
People also buy torque-converter boxes and then spend thousands bolting exhuasts and intakes to them...'nuff said, I think.
Hadn't thought about this, but this is a good point.

Looking at the numbers in this poll, it seems that there aren't as many auto ZHPs as I originally thought.

I'm curious though, did anyone here with an auto ZHP decide to go the Step route because that was what was available at the dealer? In other words, you didn't have a strong preference one way or another and inventory availability swung the vote?

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jetstream23 said:
2. The steptronic is one of the better automatic transmissions that I've driven and I don't mind it.
Very true, three days with a Step loaner (in Sport mode the whole time) were much more enjoyable than I anticipated. Very smooth, even under hard acceleration. The only thing I really didn't like was the lack of immediate power when I pushed the go pedal either from a standing start or while moving.

jetstream23 said:
4. I was more interested in the handling of the ZHP than the power/acceleration. If I wanted straight line speed off the line I could have gotten an American "muscle car" for a lot cheaper per pony.
I have found that the control offered by the stick improves the car's handling and performance in the corners. Especially with the RWD (all my previous m/t cars were FWD).

jetstream23 said:
Oh, and its easier to eat a sandwich while I drive :p
This is just blasphemous. :confused: :p

·
takes the long way home..
1,080 Posts
I've found yet another advantage of a manual tranny. A good reason to get off the phone...

Ring...ring "Hi, I'm sorry I can't chat now, I'm driving a stick. I'll call you back later. " click

·
Registered
80 Posts
I noticed that a lot of people cite their wife as one of their reasons for getting the steptronic instead of a manual. I don't understand. Why can't they teach their wives how to drive a stick? It's not that hard! Or just send them to a driving school for a few lessons; even if you spend $200 on her lessons, it's way cheaper than $1200 for a steptronic. And afterwards, you both can enjoy the full pleasures of driving. A good friend of mine recently purchased an E36, taught his wife how to drive stick on this vehicle, and now she loves it as much as he does. So I don't get it.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
sweylo said:
I noticed that a lot of people cite their wife as one of their reasons for getting the steptronic instead of a manual. I don't understand. Why can't they teach their wives how to drive a stick? It's not that hard! Or just send them to a driving school for a few lessons; even if you spend $200 on her lessons, it's way cheaper than $1200 for a steptronic. And afterwards, you both can enjoy the full pleasures of driving. A good friend of mine recently purchased an E36, taught his wife how to drive stick on this vehicle, and now she loves it as much as he does. So I don't get it.
Alternatively.... two cars, four feet, five pedals....My girlfriend's one with a ZHP slushie... I drive the heck outa the thing, but would only order one in a manual (I just might, come to think of it... down to that and a 545i if I can get over the four doors :p )

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think this depends a whole lot on who one is married to. I will avoid expanding on this thought as it will inevitably cause offense (or buyer's remorse, and I'm not referring to the car)...

sweylo said:

·
909 Posts
sweylo said:
First, let me just say right out that I'm very fortunate my wife happens to know and enjoy driving manual. No, she doesn't drive like us (eg. rev match, redline, etc.) but she enjoys driving stick nonetheless. That's the reason why we have never owned automatics.

That being said, what I don't understand is that why we have to force our wives to learn driving stick because we want to have a manual sport car? I respect those who sacrifice for their wives and get a Step (if that's the real reason). We have to admit that most women (with exceptions) have little interest on cars, and just treat a car as an appliance to get from A to B. That's why they would think we are crazy spending so much time and money on cars (like getting a set of tires for $1k). That's the difference between men and women. There's nothing wrong with sharing an automatic with her other than giving up a little on your driving enjoyment. In a marriage, there are lots of compromises and sacrifices. You can get whatever you want when you are a single, but once you are married, there are some mutual agreements that both should work out. If she's willing to learn, that's great. If not, just get an automatic and so what? Driving a manual without her approval or forcing her to learn knowing that she doesn't like is a no no for me. For those owners that had chosen automatics for your wives, we have no business to judge on your decisions, and you don't have to feel sorry or justify for doing that.

For me, I did compromise by getting a 4-door 3-series for the family. I used to own a 5sp E36 M3/4 and I was hoping to upgrade to an E46 M3/4. I really like the E46 M3 but since it is only offered as a coupe, I'm willing to step down to a 330i sedan and I'm happy without any regrets. I was very close to getting a B6 Audi S4 but at that time they were not out yet. Luckily, the introduction of the ZHP package sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
sweylo said:
1. Two pedals and a steering wheel keep her busy enough when trying to "stay inside the lines"

2. I'd be the one blamed when she pulls into the garage too fast and ends up in the living room!....."but honey, I was trying to slow down and I think I hit the clutch instead of the brake" I'm not giving her that excuse.

3. She's not going to learn on my '05 330i.

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I see both sides of this debate, but I think that most women just don't realize what they're missing when it comes to driving stick. No body ever bothered to teach them, and they never bothered to learn. Most girls/women I know who have ended up learning to drive stick don't want to go back to automatics either (at least not until little tikes and other distractions enter the picture). But if she doesn't want to learn, then she just doesn't want to learn, and that should be respected and worked around somehow.

That being said, I'm planning on teaching the gf to drive stick, but definitely not starting the learning process in the bimmer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.