BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm looking into possibly getting a used 645i or 650i Coupe (not the roadster). Did searches but couldn't find what are the 0-60mph and 1/4 miles times for the Steptronic Tranny. I would like to get SMG but it looks like they are very rare to find. Can anyone advise what is:

1. 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time for the stock 645i and 650i with Steptronic Tranny
2. 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time for the stock 645i and 650i with SMG Tranny

Thanks!

Regards,
TWC

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Welcome. There's more to than just the numbers you're interested in.

Anyway, 0 to 60mph 650i coupe steptronic is 5.4 seconds. Manual is 5.3 barely any difference. BMW's official brochure times (which are usually conservative although I have never tried better). I don't think the SMG will be significantly better/worse than 5.3/5.4.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Cobradav has gotten some times under 5 seconds. Do a search and you will see how a rocket scientist can get some speed out of his car. The 650i is perhaps a tenth of a second quicker than the 645Ci.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
TWC said:
Greetings,

I'm looking into possibly getting a used 645i or 650i Coupe (not the roadster). Did searches but couldn't find what are the 0-60mph and 1/4 miles times for the Steptronic Tranny. I would like to get SMG but it looks like they are very rare to find. Can anyone advise what is:

1. 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time for the stock 645i and 650i with Steptronic Tranny
2. 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time for the stock 645i and 650i with SMG Tranny

Thanks!

Regards,
TWC
You we be hard pressed to tell any difference between the cars and trannys. Very close. In a 6 cylinder, yes the margins get a lot wider.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Malibubimmer said:
Cobradav has gotten some times under 5 seconds.
In his "tub" no less!

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Here is the underpowered 645Ci uber ideal weather conditions (cool and dry at sea level)

5.2 / 5.3 0-60 easy without most ideal conditions. 13.5/105 1/4 mile without really trying, but these are obviously some of my best runs. All stock at over 20k miles.

Attachments

·
Banned
973 Posts
So you are suggesting that BMW 645ci automatic is able to run almost identical times to M3coupe SMG in quarter mile.:confused:

I thought the best C/D and few other sources got from 645ci with auto was 13.9 at 102mph in quarter mile.

Infact two of my very close friends have raced one another in 645ci steptronic and M3 conv with SMG II. But each time my friend with 645ci would come away frustrated because M3 would pull a car length or so ahead from start and not give it up all the way. This is from a conv. M3 not even coupe.

But from times you suggest M3 coupe and 645ci should run neck to neck in quarter mile and 645ci should be able to beat the M3 conv. in 1/4th mile. But that seems to be not the case in reality.:dunno:

cobradav said:
Here is the underpowered 645Ci uber ideal weather conditions (cool and dry at sea level)

5.2 / 5.3 0-60 easy without most ideal conditions. 13.5/105 1/4 mile without really trying, but these are obviously some of my best runs. All stock at over 20k miles.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Kayani_1 said:
So you are suggesting that BMW 645ci automatic is able to run almost identical times to M3coupe SMG in quarter mile.:confused:

I thought the best C/D and few other sources got from 645ci with auto was 13.9 at 102mph in quarter mile.

Infact two of my very close friends have raced one another in 645ci steptronic and M3 conv with SMG II. But each time my friend with 645ci would come away frustrated because M3 would pull a car length or so ahead from start and not give it up all the way. This is from a conv. M3 not even coupe.

But from times you suggest M3 coupe and 645ci should run neck to neck in quarter mile and 645ci should be able to beat the M3 conv. in 1/4th mile. But that seems to be not the case in reality.:dunno:
Kayani - You can un-confuse yourself.

Cobradav is posting his actual times. He wasn't racing anyone for pinkslips. He wasn't holding a stop watch in his hand and watching the speedo. He was getting timed professionally. And, he knew what he was doing. It's hard to argue with the facts or Cobradav's abilities. So, Cobradav is not suggesting anything. He's telling you the facts as to him and his car. I tend to doubt "C/D and a few other sources" are as reliable as Cobradav.

In any event, you can draw your own conclusions from the facts. They might suggest the things you assert, but Cobradav is not doing so.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well I dont have a professional Timing team or anything of the likes... :bawling:

but...

I have a 645ci and I added SMG Paddleshift (uber sexy glow in the dark M6 paddles :D )

All I can say is the Paddle shift turns the 645ci into a fire breathing beast, If you can spec it get it. :bigpimp:

And thats running through a Steptronic gearbox ,,,, i can imagine the SMG gearbox being even more beastly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I'm not looking for something super fast but something that is "respectable" for Sports Coupe. I am hoping for something in the low 5's even with the Steptronic for that vehicle. If the 645i (Steptronic) are still in the low 5's than I'll probably go for it as there are alot more 645i to choose from. This will be my first BMW and looking forward to it. Went from a C5 Corvette with ATI P1-SC Supercharger with Stage II Heads and Cam to an '04 MB E500 which is the 3rd MB in the stable ('02 S500 and '01 E320 4matic). I almost bought the 545i when it first came out in '04 but the interior was just not my taste (no offense) but I do like the 6 series interior. I'm bord with my E500 and so I want something more sportier and quicker but do not need something as quick as my Vette was. Thus, I was looking into the 645i/650i and needed to know about the Steptronic performance. If anyone has more info on the 645i Steptronic performance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
TWC

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Unless you are considering a used one, you can forget the 645. You'll be getting a 650 unless you wait for the 660!!:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Daum...when will the 660 come out? :yikes:

BTW...I was looking at used.

Also, is there something I need to look out for on the '04-'05s.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
TWC said:
Daum...when will the 660 come out? :yikes:

BTW...I was looking at used.

Also, is there something I need to look out for on the '04-'05s.
660 is a Malijoke!:rofl: I think, in general, the '05's have fewer problems than either the '04's or the first year 650's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boxboss said:
660 is a Malijoke!:rofl: I think, in general, the '05's have fewer problems than either the '04's or the first year 650's.
Doh! You got me (noob) there on the 660. :rofl: I'll look more for an '05 then...thanks!

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Boxboss said:
:stupid: 05 645 or wait for 07 650's with more options like real time traffic. :p

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
chuck92103 said:
:stupid: 05 645 or wait for 07 650's with more options like real time traffic. :p
...and Pearl Leather (a texture, not a color), and Night Vision.

Real Time Traffic is standard on the '07, but deleted if the HD Radio option is ordered as per the bulletin posted by Cobradev. The July Roundel suggests that BMW's RTT will use Inrix' "dust network" for traffic reporting, ie, a fleet of 500,000 GPS-equipped vehicles reporting traffic conditions in real time. The term "dusk network" refers to a utopian future where every spec of dust has communications capabilities. Sounds a little sacry to me :tsk:

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Spyder said:

Real Time Traffic is standard on the '07, but deleted if the HD Radio option is ordered as per the bulletin posted by Cobradev. The July Roundel suggests that BMW's RTT will use Inrix' "dust network" for traffic reporting, ie, a fleet of 500,000 GPS-equipped vehicles reporting traffic conditions in real time. The term "dusk network" refers to a utopian future where every spec of dust has communications capabilities. Sounds a little sacry to me :tsk:
So, Spyder, tell us if you have ordered the 2007 660i -- and what options, other than the 5.8 L engine?.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Spyder said:

And the AUX input

1 - 19 of 19 Posts