BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which model has the best reliability of the bunch? (ie 2005-07 325i,330i - 2007 328i,335i )
Please specify year and model.
Do all "xi's" have the same step. as the "i"?

Also, does the 2006 330i and 2005 330i have the same step.?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,099 Posts
So far the E90 six speed steps seem to be doing fine. There aren't many of them that have really high mileage yet. I've seen almost no posts concerning step problems.

'05 models were E46. They had a five speed step, so no the '06 and '05 don't have the same step.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So far the E90 six speed steps seem to be doing fine. There aren't many of them that have really high mileage yet. I've seen almost no posts concerning step problems.

'05 models were E46. They had a five speed step, so no the '06 and '05 don't have the same step.
So does the 2006 325xi and 330xi have the same transmission as the 328xi?:)
If not, what are the differences and which step. would be better/reliable?
Is the ZF only in the '06 325 and 330 step.? Is the ZF in the '05 e46 step.?

I found this when searching. Is it true?
Another difference is the great 330i vs. 328i debate surrounds the automatic transmission.

the 06 330i came with ZF transmission.
the 07 328i came with GM transmission.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So does the 2006 325xi and 330xi have the same transmission as the 328xi?:)
If not, what are the differences and which step. would be better/reliable?
Is the ZF only in the '06 325 and 330 step.? Is the ZF in the '05 e46 step.?

I found this when searching. Is it true?
Another difference is the great 330i vs. 328i debate surrounds the automatic transmission.

the 06 330i came with ZF transmission.
the 07 328i came with GM transmission.
That is correct. As far as I know the E46 5-Speed is a GM unit. I should know, thats what was in my car. Terrible unit IMO, I am hard pressed to explain 3 new steptronic units in a car by 110K miles:thumbdwn: All the manuals are Getrag units.

the 06 is ZF HP 19 6-Speed steptronic
the 07-08 335 has the ZF HP 21 6-Speed steptronic. This one is awesome IMO. As good as you can expect an auto to be.

I believe there have been a few complaints about the E92 328i unit. No idea what the xi has. I had researched this matter a lot, but never researched xi as I wasn't going to get one. Call BMW NA customer and ask them. They will give you the run around as they don't like giving specifics, but if you persist you will get the info though.

·
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*
2,261 Posts
I guess what I am wanting to know is which will have the less problematic steptronic: the '06 330xi or '07 328xi?:)
I don't think either will give you any transmission problems. There are so many other things that you could worry instead of the transmission... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Actually, the STEPs are not known for their reliability (see the noreverse.org website). These are new so it's hard to tell.

My guess is it might be safer to get a 330xi.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Instead of doing research and searching for threads, the OP 'jo-e90' puts up threads and comparos for so long now, he will probably purchase a car in 2011. It's a BMW, they are not known for their reliability, just maintain the car properly and you should be fine. Run a bloody SEARCH instead of putting up these inane inquiries.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tested a 135 with ZF step and it shifted way smoother than my wife's 328xiT with GM6. This has alot to do with extra weight of the E91, relative lack of low-end torque, and different throttle map/gearing. Nevertheless, the 328 feels not as smooth to me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
GM units are known for trouble. I'd stay completely away from GM one.

I guess what I am wanting to know is which will have the less problematic steptronic: the '06 330xi or '07 328xi?:)
Like the last poster said, if this is your first BMW, you will sadly find out they are honestly of below average reliability.:cry: What I mean is I am willing to tolerate a certain level of unreliability for the BMWness of these cars, but there is beyond reasonable unreliability I wont tolerate. BMW and reliable is an oxymoron. The two words don't go together in the same sentence. Case in point my E46 M3 turned out to be a complete indisputable lemon. Too many electrical issues, sadly I traded it for another semi lemon, the E46 330ci. This one was very reliable but the steptronic crapped out with alarming regularity. My E92 was in the shop for weeks on end with never ending electronic issues related to the CCC, Idrive, Navi God knows what. I was in the process of starting a BMW buyback when BMW NA decided to try replacing every single electronic component in the car. It was in the shop 3 weeks for that job, and thankfully it solved the issues completely. To their credit, my dealer still offered to buy back the car, but fearing I might get another bad apple, I declined knowing at least all the issues on my car were resolved, yet I don't know if a new one will have issues. My 5 long months of agonizing issues is luckily now only a bad memory, the car has not had a single hiccup since.

These are not perfect Toyota or Honda cars that come to life with a single turn of the key for years on end; But then again they drive and feel like no Toyota or Honda ever could. They cost more too, and its a choice you make, knowing what you are getting into. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying to you. The good part is you will come to love these roses with their many thorns. When you get poked, you will bitch and moan, but the sight and smell of the flower will only make you smile and give you that warm and furzzy feeling.:p I don't know what else to tell you. That is the truth and I am sticking by it. All I will say is the 335 is my 5th BMW, I voted with my paycheck.:D

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Like the last poster said, if this is your first BMW, you will sadly find out they are honestly of below average reliability.:cry: What I mean is I am willing to tolerate a certain level of unreliability for the BMWness of these cars, but there is beyond reasonable unreliability I wont tolerate. BMW and reliable is an oxymoron. The two words don't go together in the same sentence. Case in point my E46 M3 turned out to be a complete indisputable lemon. Too many electrical issues, sadly I traded it for another semi lemon, the E46 330ci. This one was very reliable but the steptronic crapped out with alarming regularity. My E92 was in the shop for weeks on end with never ending electronic issues related to the CCC, Idrive, Navi God knows what. I was in the process of starting a BMW buyback when BMW NA decided to try replacing every single electronic component in the car. It was in the shop 3 weeks for that job, and thankfully it solved the issues completely. To their credit, my dealer still offered to buy back the car, but fearing I might get another bad apple, I declined knowing at least all the issues on my car were resolved, yet I don't know if a new one will have issues. My 5 long months of agonizing issues is luckily now only a bad memory, the car has not had a single hiccup since.

These are not perfect Toyota or Honda cars that come to life with a single turn of the key for years on end; But then again they drive and feel like no Toyota or Honda ever could. They cost more too, and its a choice you make, knowing what you are getting into. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying to you. The good part is you will come to love these roses with their many thorns. When you get poked, you will bitch and moan, but the sight and smell of the flower will only make you smile and give you that warm and furzzy feeling.:p I don't know what else to tell you. That is the truth and I am sticking by it. All I will say is the 335 is my 5th BMW, I voted with my paycheck.:D
Well said.

I'm willing to put up with any issues that may come along because I enjoy driving the car. Compares to nothing else out there in the same category. Although I haven't really had any issues with my E92. Minor electronic blips here and there, but it only happens once and was very isolated.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,099 Posts
My guess is the 330xi trans would be more reliable. Apparently the trans in the '07 328xi is the same one that's in the X3 and some few owners have had some significant acceleration problems. I have read recently at least one X3 poster here on Bimmerfest who is getting a new transmission from BMW under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.