BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't notice during the test drive but have to admit that 3 months on and the 0-30mph acceleration from my 528i steptronic just ain't that hot - it just doesn't get away from the traffic lights any quicker than a 1.1 Ford Fiesta. Had an imported (from Japan) Mazda Lantis TypeR V6 with a few minor mods (tokico shocks, struts, induction kit) and that never failed to please. Is there a way of getting the revs up for a quick getaway without damaging engine or transmission?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
There should be some engine/tranny software available to do just what you want. Dinan is popular in the states...not sure what is available in the UK.

Also, changing the gearing in the rear differential will help speed things up off the line. Quaife (sp?) is popular here to get "taller" gearing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont use the manual mode a lot in my 540i, but when I use it, it seems you have to lift the gas pedal a little bit, or it wont change gear every time. Any comments? In other marques you dont need to do this. I didnt find anything in the owners manual. Still getting used to the 540iA after the M5, but I love the automatic, especially in street starts, you just floor it, whereas, with the M5 you never knew how the launch would go. Its odd there is such a difference between the 540 and the 528, because 0-30 seems especially fast in the 540.

KIP

·
Registered
61 Posts
kip said:
Its odd there is such a difference between the 540 and the 528, because 0-30 seems especially fast in the 540.

KIP
Yeah, I guess that extra 100hp and 120 foot lbs of torque makes a bit of a difference
;)

I used to own a 99 528i, and performance was night and day between that and my 01 540i (both autos).

As for how to make that 528i feel faster, there are a bunch of options. None of them are real cheap. There is no magical 30hp air filter or free flow exhaust bolt on. But Dinan is popular (and expensive) from everything from software to superchargers http://www.dinanbmw.com/. There are other S/C and some say even T/Cs out there for the 528i that are non Dinan, but I am not familiar. The cheapest and easiest way might be a software flash.

good luck

nate :thumbup:

·
2001BMW MZ3
568 Posts
Have you thought about adding a supercharger? The lag was explained to be by the dealer that its a computer controlled shift. If you have to have some software to correct this problem this would not be an issue.

www.Dinanbmw.com offers an upgrade for steptronic but Im not so sure its worth it.

By adding a supercharger and the software that has to be modified, This should over power the lag problem. Ill post it in the Z3 forum once I get the roaster back from www.vf-engineering.com .

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why add a supercharger to a 528? Why not just trade in your ride for a 540 and put the extra cash in your pocket! If you really want the power, trade up to an M5! ;)

·
2001BMW MZ3
568 Posts
The answer to your septronic question remains at www.Dinanbmw.com and requires a chip/ software upgrade to tranny. If you are thinking about spending the money to doing this, buy another BMW that has a manual tranny.

With me its about keeping the car, But in his case if he dosent mind to spend alot more money yeah trade it in and dont do any mods. Its only a 528.

You could add a Supercharger to a 540 also .... that would be a monster not that you should. But if you are thinking about it consult www.vf-engineering.com.

I hope this helps. Good luck

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
I had the Dinan tranny software on my E39 530i. It requires you get the engine software first, effectively doubling the cost. Not worth it IMHO, and once you do it, you can only get the car CPO'd by a authorized BMW/Dinan dealer. Regular BMW dealers will not ceritfy it once you have Dinan on the car.

If I bought a 530i again for myself I would only get a manual. Will never do StepSlushy again.

Dean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First Auto I've owned, and to be honest with the cost of fuel over here the V8's would be just a tad expensive to run (currently getting 26mpg and spending £250/month on fuel). The 0-60 time for the 528 seems reasonable, and once you get going its fast enough, its just the initial ooomph thats missing, should have looked around a little longer and opted for the slightly newer 530 manual. You live and learn, will sell it on to an old geezer early next year, move closer to work and look out for an M5.

·
2001BMW MZ3
568 Posts
dwette said:
I had the Dinan tranny software on my E39 530i. It requires you get the engine software first, effectively doubling the cost. Not worth it IMHO, and once you do it, you can only get the car CPO'd by a authorized BMW/Dinan dealer. Regular BMW dealers will not ceritfy it once you have Dinan on the car.

If I bought a 530i again for myself I would only get a manual. Will never do StepSlushy again.

Dean
Thanks for helping make my point dean...

Toastednuts, glad we could help...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts