BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put in a stereo from an '02 325i into my '01 325xi - neither had HK or any weird sound options, but the '02 stereo doesn't seem to work. The display lights up, it takes in a CD, but the display just says --:-- and nothing happens when any of the buttons are pushed.

There's a wire behind my old stereo that doesn't hook up to the new one, is this the problem? Or is the 02 just not compatible with the 01?

Attachments

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do - I typed it in under general part search but it didn't come up... I will check when I get home the actual manufacture date of my car and search that way.

Agreed that wire looks like antenna, but then what's the other one in my hand?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I believe these systems use a diversity antenna system which has one in the rear window and one elsewhere. Perhaps that's what it's all about.

Someone with an ETK CD should be able to clear all that up for you. I don't have one or I'd look.

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, the more I look into it the more I think it's not compatible... boo. I don't really understand why but I think it just doesn't work with my car, build date 12/2000.

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the CD is a burned one but I can't get the radio to come on or anything.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yup, the more I look into it the more I think it's not compatible... boo. I don't really understand why but I think it just doesn't work with my car, build date 12/2000.
What makes you certain that the new radio works at all?
Does it function properly in a another vehicle?
As Melquin indicated, you need to use the large antenna harness lead with an adapter, but if the HU is dead won't matter anyway. Certainly try a pressed commercial CD before relying any burned one for testing. (any pre-09/2004 HU will not play any MP3 format CD's of course, but even burned audio ones can be finicky in different players).
BTW what was wrong with the original unit in your vehicle to begin with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts