BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to follow the various threads on which speakers to buy, what amp to install and how to go about getting the stock radio to actually sound okay. I have a 1995 Ford Ranger with a stock AC Delco stereo that blows away the DSP BMW stereo I have in my 2001 530i.

Can anyone help me to understand the best value for your money approach to improving my BMW stereo? I would like it to all appear stock in the cabin when it is complete.

I do like music that is either Rock or Classic but do not listen to Country or Hip Hop.

Not spending a fortune doing upgrades would be nice as well and if possible do it yourself equipment upgrades would be great. Equipment that is rock solid quality is important to me as well.

Any thoughts that you all have in this regard would be highly appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
What kind of budget?

The best sounding speakers are Focal, Dynaudio, Diamond Audio, and MB Quart. I prefer the Focal paired with a warm amp.

I think it would be wise to put an amp in as well. The factory amp is pretty crappy. You don't need to remove the amp, just bypass it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
less is better

I was thinking that it would be great to not spend more than $2,000 but less is better. If $2,500 (or more) would result in an exponentially better system I could go there though...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest buying a McIntosh amp from ebay. I own the MC431M, which I got from ebay, and it is unreal. It's a 4 channel clean amp. It will run you about 800 and leave plenty of money to purchase some component speakers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
DAAAAMN... 2g's??

You could get some real nice stuff for a fraction of that budget. Component Sets can be picked up for $250/set for some good stuff. A nice sub/amp shouldn't run ya more than $750. My my calculations thats only about $1250 and installing it all is a def. do it yourself type job. Thank god we have all these wondeful resources like this forum!! :thumbup:

Also check BMWtips.com for step by step how to's on everything from audio to lighting

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
AULandRover said:
I would suggest buying a McIntosh amp from ebay. I own the MC431M, which I got from ebay, and it is unreal. It's a 4 channel clean amp. It will run you about 800 and leave plenty of money to purchase some component speakers.

Ya just gotta love McIntosh equipment. I've got a McIntosh system in my home for stereo & home theater. You can't get any better than McIntosh. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put all Memphis and JL audio in mine. I am using the stock head unit and it sounds great.
Memphis M class in the doors and rear deck. Memphis M class silk domes in the tweeter spots by the side mirrors. And a JL Audio 12W6 in the trunk for a sub. Memphis 75x4 on the interior and Memphis 500x1 on the sub. I still have plenty of trunk space and I can still get to my spare tire no problem. YOU MUST BY PASS THE AMP. There are a set of wires coming from the head unit that push a full range signal and those are the ones to tap into.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
I am really rurpsied nobody's chimed in and warned him how incredibly difficult it is to upgrade a DSP sound system. It's seriously a pain in the arse. Rainbow Audio components are a great upgrade to the stock speakers in the DSP system, I will attest to this. They really fill out the rest of the audio a LOT better. www.bavariansoundwerks.com

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Treybone said:
I put all Memphis and JL audio in mine. I am using the stock head unit and it sounds great.
Memphis M class in the doors and rear deck. Memphis M class silk domes in the tweeter spots by the side mirrors. And a JL Audio 12W6 in the trunk for a sub. Memphis 75x4 on the interior and Memphis 500x1 on the sub. I still have plenty of trunk space and I can still get to my spare tire no problem. YOU MUST BY PASS THE AMP. There are a set of wires coming from the head unit that push a full range signal and those are the ones to tap into.
when you mean BY PASS THE AMP , do you mean you basically unhooked the 15pin hardness and then tap the wires to your new amp ? and you run the power seperately ? or you using all from the wire hardness ? but this seem like what would be done...to actually add a new aftermarket amp. correct me if im wrong. so basically if this was the way , all that is needed is... figure out all the color code of those wires and tap into your new amp ? they are basically all your speaker wires for front L and right , rear L and right (including tweeters) and also the nokia subwoofer. please fill me in on how you installed your aftermarket amp by bypassing the factory amp.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Alpine2 said:
What makes the DSP system more difficult?:dunno:
Please use the search function, there are countless threads about why it's difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.