BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 3 week old 330 has the "sticky pedal" that so many have mentioned. :( I've searched the archives and joined the Yahoo group. I haven't mentioned it to my dealer yet, but I will when I pick up my plates. At first I thought it was my imagination, but when I saw so many others have the same problem I felt a little better about it. It's nice to know you're not alone.....

Bill
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
You're not alone but sadly the "fix" won't be here til July at the earliest:thumbdwn: I'm getting a new throttle on Monday but its just a duplication of the part we already have just hope it hold til the "new" one shows up.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
This has been an issue for almost a year now (maybe even over a year) and BMW has not stepped up with a solution yet. They keep promising one but then they just push it off further, because of engineering or production delays. They're not taking it very seriously and I'm beginning to lose my optimism about the whole situation! Next time I hear from Bill Stuart @ BMWNA I will let him know of my dissatisfaction (which I've withheld so far)... that is of course, unless he has GOOD news for us! :tsk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess since it really doesn't cause any problems BMW isn't in any hurry to come up with a real fix. I don't feel it's necessarily dangerous, it's just annoying. It's also a little disappointing because it diminishes the quality feel and driving experience of the car. :thumbdwn:

Outside of that... Love the car!!:D
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
I couldn't agree more Bill, although it has made for some very sharp, choppy 1st-gear starts for me which could have resulted in me rear ending someone if they had stopped immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Well, you can add me to the list of folks with the sticky pedal problem :tsk: Today was the first time that I experienced this issue. Guess the weather finally warmed up enough around here for the problem to surface.

I just joined Alee's Yahoo Group. Are updates/announcements automatically sent to the Group's members?
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Someone do me a favor... Next time your pedal starts driving you nuts, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and tell me if if you think it feels better. k? :)
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Someone do me a favor... Next time your pedal starts driving you nuts, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and tell me if if you think it feels better. k? :)
That's a good thought Nick but the problem has been found in certain plastic components within the pedal. Apparently the humidity (either natural or caused by running high heat) causes the "stickiness".

But if my new one acts up, I'll give it a try just to say I did so:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I think that what you guys are calling

a stick pedal is really something that is their for the Steptronics. The pedal puts up a slight bit of resistance at 4/5 of its downward travel. When pushed beyond this resistance, the trainy goes into sport shifting mode and lets the engine rev higher before shifting. This is intentional, what may not be intentional is that this should not be present for thos with manual transmission. So if you have a Step, it is not a problem. Stop :cry:
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Re: I think that what you guys are calling

MaxSpeed said:
a stick pedal is really something that is their for the Steptronics. The pedal puts up a slight bit of resistance at 4/5 of its downward travel. When pushed beyond this resistance, the trainy goes into sport shifting mode and lets the engine rev higher before shifting. This is intentional, what may not be intentional is that this should not be present for thos with manual transmission. So if you have a Step, it is not a problem. Stop :cry:
The guys complaining on this thread have 5 speed manuals and this is a pretty well known problem . . .
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Re: I think that what you guys are calling

MaxSpeed said:
a stick pedal is really something that is their for the Steptronics. The pedal puts up a slight bit of resistance at 4/5 of its downward travel. When pushed beyond this resistance, the trainy goes into sport shifting mode and lets the engine rev higher before shifting. This is intentional, what may not be intentional is that this should not be present for thos with manual transmission. So if you have a Step, it is not a problem. Stop :cry:
What you are describing is the kick down point. Sticky pedal can occur at any point of acceleration.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Re: I think that what you guys are calling

MaxSpeed said:
a stick pedal is really something that is their for the Steptronics. The pedal puts up a slight bit of resistance at 4/5 of its downward travel. When pushed beyond this resistance, the trainy goes into sport shifting mode and lets the engine rev higher before shifting. This is intentional, what may not be intentional is that this should not be present for thos with manual transmission. So if you have a Step, it is not a problem. Stop :cry:
MaxSpeed -
To echo PM 325xiT and Alan F, the kick down point and the sticky pedal problem are two completely different things. I have the steptronic and am very familiar with the kick down feature. The sticky pedal problem is a different animal. The problem causes the throttle pedal to feel like it goes through a long series of jolts all the way downwards and upwards. It's not a single click-click like the kick down point.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

That's a good thought Nick but the problem has been found in certain plastic components within the pedal. Apparently the humidity (either natural or caused by running high heat) causes the "stickiness".

But if my new one acts up, I'll give it a try just to say I did so:D
I know it's partly a physical problem... SOmetimes, when I find that I'm sijmply unable to control the throttle resetting the computer does almost nothing. However, other times, disconnecting the battery makes it a totally different machine. :dunno:
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:


I know it's partly a physical problem... SOmetimes, when I find that I'm sijmply unable to control the throttle resetting the computer does almost nothing. However, other times, disconnecting the battery makes it a totally different machine. :dunno:
Hopefully I won't be able to check your idea out..................rumor has it that the "new" pedal has been snuck out for replacements:dunno: I'm waiting for word on the actual part number to see if I got the new and improved version:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
My 325i just went to status 150 for a mid-june build. What do you think the chances are that it'll be built with the corrected throttle?
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Zaphod said:
My 325i just went to status 150 for a mid-june build. What do you think the chances are that it'll be built with the corrected throttle?
Anywhere between 0% and 100%. =)

Seriously, as far as I'm concerned this could just be vaporware right now. No one has yet to see this new pedal assembly and we keep getting postponed "delivery" dates for the thing.

*sigh*
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
webguy330i said:


Anywhere between 0% and 100%. =)

Seriously, as far as I'm concerned this could just be vaporware right now. No one has yet to see this new pedal assembly and we keep getting postponed "delivery" dates for the thing.

*sigh*
Do you have the part number for the one's you have already had put in? I can check it against mine (when I get home) to see if there is any validity.
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top