BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got my first bimmer on thursday and everything is good but I have noticed that the accelerator is a tad too sticky for my (safety) liking.

I have done a lot of searching of the forum before making this post because I didn't want to double post but all the people who have posted seem to have been posting about a known issue, and all their models seem to be made circa. 2000-2003. My bimmer is a 1995 318is.

Symptoms:
I was driving in very slow traffic on the M8 yesterday and was needing to slam the clutch for dear life to avert too much acceleration which I do not like doing to the clutch! The pedal feels very sticky for the first few mm's of travel (very difficult to accurately control), then it has what feels like a notch after that, and I have to put force into the pedal to get over that notch. It is most noticable in first, but is evident even when the pedal is almost to the floor.

Is this the dreaded drive-by-wire issue that so many seem to have (and what is it exactly?). I have already got the WD40 out on the actual pedal it's self, and onto the visible parts of the throttle cable but I haven't noticed much/any difference.

Can anyone be definitive about what my problem is? Temp here in scotland rarely goes above 30 degrees, and temp yesterday was about 17/18 when I noticed it most in slow traffic, but I'm aware of it all the time.

Please help! :bawling:

Ali!

Attachments

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
yeah i had the same prob on my 1st bimmer a 98 compact..take it to a bmw garage or a decent mechanic.....its simply a case of removing the throttle body and cleaning it out..doesnt take long..makes it a lot easier to control the car and only cost me £30 at a bmw garage!!:p

·
Registered
513 Posts
You should spray the throttle wire also. I dont know the exact name for it but the piece that pulls the wire to open and close the throttle. Try that and if it still does that then try doing what oakley suggested.

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
if you were in slow traffic, are you sure it was not the antistall kicking in?

If you are in traffic and the revs dip too much, the ECU will automatically bring the refs up to stop it stalling.

You will know if this is the case if when you dip the clutch after it happens and the revs dip back to normal

Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened to me, i thought my baby was posessed!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts