BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically ever since I've gotten my car which is about 8 months now.. My steering wheel has been on the stiff side. I checked my fluid last week and it was a little low so i filled it but it honestly didnt do anything...

I dont know what the hell to do its starting to finally piss me off. I drive home at night all tired and stuff and I try to turn the wheel with 1 hand but its honestly really hard. Back when i first got my car I used to get chest pains and i figured out that it was from my stiff ass steering wheel.. What the hell do i do :dunno:

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Bench press and dips to strengthen your chest, one arm dumbell rows and oblique crunches for your back and obliques, and hanging leg raises and decline crunches for your abs. Then you won't have any issues.

You have a 1993, that should mean you have a load of separate belts rather than a single serpentine belt. If that is the case, check all your belts, its possible that your power steering belt has come off and the PAS pump isn't receiving any drive. Other than that the pump could have stopped working.

If you want to check if your PAS is working, the one way I know of doing it is to steer maximum to the left or right when stationary. If you hear a slight hissing noise and the engine revs change, your power steering hydraulics are working and the pump is connected to the belt. I'm going to guess the pump just isn't working because the steering should be very easy!

·
17,965 Posts
Have to agree on the bench press.
Good grief, stop being a wussy. Why would you want to steer with one hand. This is not an Oldsmobile.

Oh, have your mechanic check the power steering pump. It's 15 years old. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm... Thanks guys. I meen its not that i cant turn the wheel.. But honestly its really heavy. If Im changing lanes its ok but when I need to make a left or a right turn... OR a U turn its like turning a freaking tank or something.. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
That does sound like a power steering pump issue to me too. I remember driving this Hyundai Excel with no power steering and it felt like the car was completely off when turning.

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Sure sounds like the PS is broken. Time to roll to the shop or get out the tools. :(

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K guys thanks alot i'll defenitely get it checked.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys... My dad just took a look at it and he thinks im on crack. He checked it and said its fine. Hes like sports cars are supposed to be stiff, there not supposed to be like Japanese cars. But still i feel that its a little TOOOO stiff. I have to freaking use both hands to make a u-turn and i have to freaking turn the wheel like im fuking churning butter or some**** lol.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Tell him you have an entry-level luxury sedan, not a sports car, and you should be able to make a u-turn with your pinky. Lol. You have a problem. And from everything you've told me, it doesn't sound like your dad is qualified to be making assessments of the condition of your car. No offense, of course. The steering should be a little on the heavy side, but not by anything noticeable.

Check that your belt is connected. If not, sounds like your PS pump is dead. Of course, Boile could be right. Perhaps you're just a scrawny little kid who needs to work out more. Lol.

BTW, you can stick the rear view mirror back on with super glue. How the fvck did you rip it off???

·
17,965 Posts
Tell him you have an entry-level luxury sedan, not a sports car, and you should be able to make a u-turn with your pinky. Lol. You have a problem. And from everything you've told me, it doesn't sound like your dad is qualified to be making assessments of the condition of your car. No offense, of course. The steering should be a little on the heavy side, but not by anything noticeable.

Check that your belt is connected. If not, sounds like your PS pump is dead. Of course, Boile could be right. Perhaps you're just a scrawny little kid who needs to work out more. Lol.

BTW, you can stick the rear view mirror back on with super glue. How the fvck did you rip it off???
Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;):thumbup:
BTW, I am always right. :rofl:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

hahahahahah Chad I was trying to adjust the rearview mirror and it ****ing snapped off!!!! And my friends like dude wat the **** lets just superglue so ya we did and it works now. Thanks for replying sooner. SIKEEE!!! :D

And ya we checked the belts. Guys I really dont know **** about cars so my dad says theres only 1 belt. I dont know if hes right or what but he says theres only 1 belt and it looks fine. Hes like just suck it up.

I can swear theres something wrong with it. He used to have an old 5 series like late 80's early 90's back in the day and he said hes was pretty similar so I dont know. Im not expecting it to be light as a Camry but its defenitely too heavy

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Sorry for not replying within 5 minutes of your text, Andy. I guess the multiple essays, projects, and finals I'm working on aren't as important.....:rofl:. :slap:

Again, what did we establish about your dad. Lol. You car does not have a serpentine belt. It has separate belts for each accessory, power steering being one of them. If your car only has one belt, that explains a lot....lol.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahahaha.. Dude i know he doesnt know everything. But back in Russia all the cars were fuking basic as hell and **** so he knows how to fix a car on basic principles... thats why i usually just ask him the basic stuff before going off and tearing my hole car apart..

Anyway where exactly is the belt can someone please give me a picture or something??? If my dads not gonna help me then fuk it and i'll do it myself but i really need help guys... This will be my first major project! Up next is the oil change! i got like 200 miles left till my oil change lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sorry for not replying within 5 minutes of your text, Andy. I guess the multiple essays, projects, and finals I'm working on aren't as important.....:rofl:. :slap:

Again, what did we establish about your dad. Lol. You car does not have a serpentine belt. It has separate belts for each accessory, power steering being one of them. If your car only has one belt, that explains a lot....lol.
they sure arnt chad... theyre way overrated :angel:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why dont you just find one thats for sale near you and test drive it to see if it is the same as yours.
Black.. thats actually a really good idea. wow im defenitely gonna do that..

Ok guys basically when i turn the wheel all the way to the left or the right the RPM does change and my engine starts doing something weird.. Is that ok or wat?

·
Registered
423 Posts
i have the same problem, i changed my fluid a few times and it got a lot better.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how exactly do i CHANGE the fluid??? cause i just added more since it was under the minimum line...

Is there any certain way to drain it???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts