BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2007 BMW 550i (traded in my 2004 530i lease) and noticed after taking possesion of the car that there was a "car loaner" form in my glove box along with someones personal driving directions. Upon some checking I find that the car was loaned out to someone to drive around. Although I was told 10 mile and my docs say 10 the car actually had 100 miles on it.

Can this car still be sold/leased as new? Any advice? I'm not saying it's a major big deal but you know who people drive cars that are not theirs and since this car is way within the break in period I'd hate to have to pay for someone else tearing the engine up.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
i wouldn't sweat it.

after all, i'm sure whoever had your new car before you took delivery drove it with the same care, love, patience and adherence to the recommended break-in period as you or i would if we had a brand new 550i loaner for a few days.

:str8pimpi

·
Registered
862 Posts
Are you saying they manipulated the odometer? That'd probably be trouble - like illegal I think and possibly illegal to misrepresent the mileage on the title transfer docs - or, are you saying you didn't notice the odometer reading until later?

It is a small amount, yes, but still...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't look at the actual miles of the car on the odometer until I drove off. The paperwork has the miles listed as 10 but in reality it was 100. An obvious mistake.

I'm just miffed at the fact that they loaned the car out to somone to drive (they call it an extended test drive) without telling me and they got the mileage wrong. Oh that an I too have the steering sensor problem.

·
Registered
862 Posts
OC550i said:
Oh that an I too have the steering sensor problem.
SOAFB! You're kidding. I cannot believe there is not some sort of recall on this by now.

That it breaks that easily or is broken right out of the box is amazing - must be a design problem.

Do you have AS or no - not that is seems to matter.

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
My dad took delievery of a 2005 E320 with less than 200 miles on the odometer. At that time, he thought "big deal." Turns out the car had been in service for almost a year meaning he had lost one year of warranty. In addition, he ran into some trouble when activating the TeleAid system. It's one of those "you live, you learn" cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is new no doubt about it but to me after finding that paper the dealer should have to take it back and give me another model as it wasn't represented to me accurately. If I go into finance and sign for 10 miles on the car, then get in it and it has 100 - I'd consider that a void of the contract.

Yes, the unoffical term at the dealers is RECALL on the steering sensor. Seems BMW doesn't want to make a true recall announcement to avoid bad press. Guess it will take a bad accident and lawsuit. I'm waiting for my sensor, the dealer has offered to give me any loaner car I want (3, 5, X5, etc) or just drive my car. Since I'm in the break in period anyway, I'll baby my own car while I wait for the part.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Assuming you drove off the lot and put miles on it and didn't bring it to the dealer's attention before you drove away, it'd be their word vs. yours regarding the mileage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
FEDERAL LAW require a dealer Odometer Disclosure Statement be submitted to any buyer, certifing the mileage on the vehicle. If the mileage on the Disclosure Statement is different from the odometer, then someone is apt to be in a little difficulty. Now, depends upon how you want to handle the "he said - you said" part of the argument. T'were me, if I had a defensable position, I would probably make a bunch of noise over it. After all, you paid a lot of money for a new car, you expected a new car, and certainly not a non new car that was used for other purposes prior to your taking possession. Another heads up for all.
vz

·
Registered
275 Posts
The bad part about the Federal Law deal is that he signed the paperwork stating the car had 10 miles. The bad part is that he's owned it for several days not and the miles are certainly more than 10. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard to argue this mileage disagreement several days after driving off the lot. So according to all paperwork the car did indeed have 10 miles on it when sold. Now that the car has more miles, there's no way to prove that the car had 100 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not so worried about the extra 90 miles. Mistakes happen and I know that this was just that. It's very easy to glance at 100 miles and see 10 (or at least think 10 since it was a new car). However, the part about it being loaned out is what really bothers me. Sure it was never "sold" to this person but it was taken off the lot and driven without someone from the dealer in control of the car or supervising the treatment of it.

I called the dealer when I was 5 minutes away and told them the milage was wrong so they know about it (sure he said she said) but they told me that because it was only a small amount of milage there was not enough difference to warrant coming in and redoing all the financial paperwork. At the time I agreed it wasn't worth my time either but now that I found the loaner paper in the car and the steering sensor went out I'm going to make sure I'm compensated in some way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One thing they should be able to do for you is make them change your warranty to 4yrs/50,100 miles. Did you buy or lease? If you purchased I certainly can feel your frustration and I hope the dealer compensates you in some way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
make them CPO the car and up the warranty to 6yrs and 100,000 miles. The logic is if they think it's good as new, then they wouldn't mind to CPO it for free..

Better do it soon ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.